The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
St Peter's have a good amount of shit beer... some are decent but from memory avoid these...
i even tipped a couple of them...
beer_148299.jpg

beers-of-xmas-4_thumb.jpg

ohhh and this rates high on the shit-o-meter

let me put it this way, i can get a carton of this for $25 hahaha

green-flash-friendship-brew.jpg

Well I'll throw my opinion in... though I'm well aware they are like arseholes

Whilst living in NYC for a few years I would have a couple of magic hat #9 pints a week during the warm seasons and enjoyed them very much.

Also, my missus loves Yum Cha (which I'm a bit so so about) but when we go, the couple of bottles of Tsing Tao we usually have go really well with the dumplings and sticky chinese food.

The worst... I think I've had a couple that would all sit at about the same rating for me but in general I cannot drink anything from Lion Nathan's mainstream stable. On the other hand if I have to buy a lawnmower beer for whatever reason, I'll quite happily reach for most things from CUB.

Not sure why this is. Used to think it was the hop schedule/varieties preferred by Lion Nathan but now I know they all pretty much use the same (i.e. POR).

my 2c... for what its worth.

Ces

Edit: spelling

Ces said:
Well I'll throw my opinion in... though I'm well aware they are like arseholes

Whilst living in NYC for a few years I would have a couple of magic hat #9 pints a week during the warm seasons and enjoyed them very much.

Also, my missus loves Yum Cha (which I'm a bit so so about) but when we go, the couple of bottles of Tsing Tao we usually have go really well with the dumplings and sticky chinese food.

The worst... I think I've had a couple that would all sit at about the same rating for me but in general I cannot drink anything from Lion Nathan's mainstream stable. On the other hand if I have to buy a lawnmower beer for whatever reason, I'll quite happily reach for most things from CUB.

Not sure why this is. Used to think it was the hop schedule/varieties preferred by Lion Nathan but now I know they all pretty much use the same (i.e. POR).

my 2c... for what its worth.

Ces

Edit: spelling
I'd say the main difference would be the yeast used, so perhaps you're more not liking the fermentation profile.

Spohaw said:
So the worse beer you've tried is anything by lion Nathan breweries ?
If you would like me to be specific.... if i can help it, not a drop of Tooheys New will ever pass my lips again. I concede that most would agree that there isn't much difference between most of the Aussie megaswill lagers (e.g. Tooheys New and VB), its just that for some reason I dont like Lion Nathan's flagship Aussie brews.

peas_and_corn said:
I'd say the main difference would be the yeast used, so perhaps you're more not liking the fermentation profile.
Thanks, mate. I had always assumed they would both use the 'cleanest' yeast possible but you are probably right on this. Never considered it.

Worst I've ever tasted was a BIAB failure of a mate's which burnt on the element. Why he fermented and bottled this thing, I do not know. Took a sip and literally spat it in the sink. It lingered for a good half an hour. Haunting.
Worst HB was a Coopers Pilsner in a can which I fermented in the late Newcastle spring, probably around 28°C. Was my 3rd home brew effort. Drank half a longneck and a few months later tipped the rest so I had bottles for my next brew.

So far there's only be one commercial beer I couldn't drink - Tun Bitter. It didn't even taste like beer. I don't enjoy New, Carlton Draught, Coldies etc. but they are in a completely different class. They taste like beer. Tun Bitter... well I can't understand how it can be produced from malted grain, sugar, yeast and hops. It is absolute filth.

Handsome Jake said:
Had a good chuckle at that.

Oettingers is the worst beer I've tasted, and Rivet from Aldi is a close second.

I also recently had a "limited release" Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale from Matilda Bay. It cost $9 for a 640ml bottle and while it wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, it's definitely the worst I've ever paid $9 for.
Oh, to be handsome and opinionated. I like the Oettinger, when I get a fresh one, and I bought some of that Dubbel, and drank it for what it was. It had the right flavours, as described (cocoa nibs etc), but maybe not in balance. It was only 640 ml to get through. Maybe you had it at the wrong temp too. I allowed it to warm and it was OK.
lukiferj said:
I haven't met anyone that like Magic Hat #9, myself included.

Hammer n Tongs would have to be up there.
Spare a thought for me. I bought a 6er of the Magic Kat, and struggled to get through it. No point clogging (coagulating/ clotting) my drains with it, I thought

Mrs came home with a slab of Sol. I think I had seen it mentioned somewhere in this thread and I gotta agree, it is complete and utter shit.

Aside from being fairly tasteless and uninspiring, it has this nasty aftertaste which took me a while to recognise but I think I've got it. I cant stand the horrible chemical taste of diet drinks that use that nutrasweet shit- it sort of has an almost drying taste on the tongue, almost sour. Well this beer tastes like it has nutrasweet in it.
It is fucked and as a stand, the Mrs will not get a root until she has cleared that shit from my beer fridge (which also happens to coincide with me not getting a root cos I told her how shit the beer is).

Droopy Brew said:
A Mrs will not get a root until she has cleared that shit from my beer fridge (which also happens to coincide with me not getting a root cos I told her how shit the beer is).
Just remember droopy, the root you knock back is the root you will never get, and when your in your 70's it begins to piss you off and you curse the fact!

Can't be bothered looking back, but Matso's Chilli Beer is my least favourite. I like hot food, but that shit is not enjoyable what so ever.

Oettinger Pils is another rubbish beer

Oh and just about any Gluten free beer shouldn't exist IMO.

hellbent said:
Just remember droopy, the root you knock back is the root you will never get, and when your in your 70's it begins to piss you off and you curse the fact!
Sometimes a man just has to stand up for what's right. And if withholding my undoubtedly excellent services is what it takes to rid my beer fridge of this vile piss then so be it.

Just had a look at the label- glucose syrup. Need I say more?

This happened tonight, way to make average beer taste amazing, go to pub get $8 pot and Parma (vb only) and have someone else give me their pot as they don't drink beer.

Following that, go order a fat yak (best available beer at the pub) and holy shit way to make an average beer taste amazing!

Actually was pretty good and they stuffed up an order on our table so I ended up with 2 pots and 2 parmas for $8 what a win even if it was vb

Back