The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradmccoy said:
Has anyone mentioned Northern Territory Draught yet? This stuff is terrible beyond compare. The bottle I tried tasted like a yeast starter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NT_Draught
I bought a bottle the other day, mainly for the bottle. Got to have a bottle once in my life! A guy in the bottle shop said it's pretty much just Carlton Draught in a big bottle and Carlton Draught is pretty bad on a good day.

I bought a 1L (I think?) bottle of Sol Mexican Cervesa in a moment of weakness on a very hot day while browsing at Dans.

It makes Corona taste like the nectar of the gods. So little flavour, a faint woodiness and almost no bitterness. Still drank it though. I was very thirsty.

I can usually at least finish any beer, even the worst of the worst. If I've opened it, I'll finish it although wouldn't necessarily have another one if the beer is that bad. But there's two occasions in my life I've really struggled.

First occasion when I was a student on very little money. A mate came round for a session and we bought as much of the cheapest beer we could afford. Co-op Bavarian Lager (Co-op being the Cooperative stores in the UK). It worked out at around 50p a can (this was around 20something years ago). "How bad can it be?" It was terrible. So terrible in fact, and we were determined to finish off the 16 cans we'd bought, that we scraped together what little money we had and ran round the corner to the off license to pick up a cheap bottle of gin or whisky to down with the beer to take away the taste.

Second beer that I had trouble finishing off was at a Chilli Festival in Brighton, UK last year. It was a chilli beer and absolute muck. Three or four swigs and I was done. I think that was probably the only beer I've not actually been able to finish off. I've had a couple of chilli beers in the past and not one of them was of any reasonable quality and something I'd ever buy again. I just don't think chilli works in beer although in theory it should work great.

I really steer clear of chilli beers in principle since sampling some unremembered light lager brew in the 90's that came with a long green chilli in the bottle. Though I've been recommended some recently that have me thinking I might have a go at one.

Yeah Matso's Broome Brewery make some nice beers but I've always thought their Chili beer left a little to be desired.

Far from the worst, but I was at an Indian restaurant last night & had a kingfisher. I thought it was a pretty inoffensive, clean lager when I had it years ago, but this had an odd, astringent bitterness that made me wince with each mouthful. Food was too hot not to drink it though!

TheWiggman said:
I challenge you to finish a Tun Bitter.
Tun Bitter's marketing department will be furious - third from top!

0mi8l26.png

Speaking of Tun and worst beer ever, my GF made a cake topper with EE can on it for my 30th last week. I asked her if she drank the beer and she said "No, I poured it down the sink, where it belongs!". I've trained her well!

10678817_10152462027817883_4952813958355174498_n.jpg

welly2 said:
Tun Bitter's marketing department will be furious - third from top!

0mi8l26.png
Well, the results would be skewed a little because Google knows you have an AHB account. I wonder if someone who doesn't use this site will have AHB as a high up result.

peas_and_corn said:
Well, the results would be skewed a little because Google knows you have an AHB account. I wonder if someone who doesn't use this site will have AHB as a high up result.
It does

Just tried it on a fellow 'inmates' computer wit no HB interest (heathen). Still 3rd

peas_and_corn said:
Just tried it on a different machine, still comes up third.

Good.

danestead said:
Yeah Matso's Broome Brewery make some nice beers but I've always thought their Chili beer left a little to be desired.
Not so fussed on their mango beer, but my gf will happily consume it if I get another one as a gift

TheWiggman said:
I challenge you to finish a Tun Bitter.
One of my mates at work bought a box of this recently, based on price. He's a homebrewer too, and no big complaints.

My memories of Reschs' Real reminds me of the two real thing about it = cheapest price and the hangover

I bought 2 cans of Tun way back, 1 Bitter and the other a Mild or Light or some such thing.....
after drinking the bitter the mild is still sitting inthe back of the bar with left behind Corona, Peronni and XXXX Blight

Southwark Bitter

Bought a carton of this many years ago after competing at the Australian surf titles somewhere in SA, was a poor uni student at the time and a carton was a big investment. My mate and I just couldn't drink it. We gave it away. The pain of giving beer away has been etched into my psyche.

Latest posts

Back