The Scottish Chiefs Tavern Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
has anyone been to this pub in geelong the website tells you not very much only whats to eat..is it an actual working brewery..thanks for any info

has anyone been to this pub in geelong the website tells you not very much only whats to eat..is it an actual working brewery..thanks for any info
It was no longer operating as a brewery when I was there 5 years ago, this time of the year as well. Maybe it's been resurrected since. Apparently it was an extract brewery.

it's for sale, I think the guy from bells in south melbourne went down there ?

It was no longer operating as a brewery when I was there 5 years ago, this time of the year as well. Maybe it's been resurrected since. Apparently it was an extract brewery.

It was recently sold and bought by a local who's completed the graduate certificate at ballarat. I think it's up and running again as (I'm assuming) an all grain brewery, not extract. Haven't been since the sale.

When I was there they didn't really promote their beers too well, the micro taps were hidden away to the side of the bar. For the only microbrewery in Geelong you'd think they'd be screaming it.

James

Dunno if the locals would be screaming exactly. When I was in Geelong the Bended Elbow in Yarra St (English themed pub) was the only decent watering hole. I was standing at the traffic lights and a bunch of 30-something locals were looking across and discussing the pub "can't get pots there gotta drink them poofy pints" - "Wazza pint?" "Things the poofs drink" :p
They trooped into the hairdresser that was their destination as there was a sign outside "Mullet Monday, 40% off "

Last time i was there(early last year) it was up and going with 2 beers on tap, guy who bought it had an agreement wit the pub its housed in to have his beer on tap. Good pub food and the beer was great. If you are in the area go and check it out.

was there on monday last week. they have a few outside beers on tap but only one of there own on tap an apa. had one pint and it was as hazy as all get out and rather low on hop flavour and aroma. ended up drinking white rabbit dark instead

was there on monday last week. they have a few outside beers on tap but only one of there own on tap an apa. had one pint and it was as hazy as all get out and rather low on hop flavour and aroma. ended up drinking white rabbit dark instead

Disappointing. The beers before the sale weren't much either.

Hopefully he'll get better

Dunno if the locals would be screaming exactly. When I was in Geelong the Bended Elbow in Yarra St (English themed pub) was the only decent watering hole. I was standing at the traffic lights and a bunch of 30-something locals were looking across and discussing the pub "can't get pots there gotta drink them poofy pints" - "Wazza pint?" "Things the poofs drink" :p
They trooped into the hairdresser that was their destination as there was a sign outside "Mullet Monday, 40% off "

Well spotted BribieG,
Mullets are still pretty popular in Geelong.
Cheers
Spud

Forrest Brewery has a Beacon Brewing (Scottish Chiefs) ESB on tap which I thought was pretty good.
Ditto.
Is definately a AG brewery as Forrest has done its only beer (or two) to date using their set up. I think it might be one of the many establishing micro's that suffer from indifferent staff, but the there is a good product there (based only on their ESB) which is worth checking out

The brewery is leased out to Beacon Brewing, the current lease holder doesn't brew any beer, just runs the bar and meals.

Reason I know - Nearly bought the place.

Hi guys.
This is the first time I have contributed to the forum. I thought I could clarify/confirm some things re the Scottish Chiefs. The lease is for sale, the current asking price is $350k. There is around fourteen years left. I currently lease the brewery from the publican and sell beer to them at wholesale.
It is now an all grain brewery. I installed the mash tun about 18 months ago.
Thanks for the feedback on the beer, yes it was pretty hazy and also had some acetaldehyde.
The Pale ale is not an apa it is based on an english style pale ale. The current recipe is 100% Maris Otter malt and hopped with just EKG, not a hop bomb but a reasonably balanced session beer.
also the Bitter at 3.8% falls into the ordinary bitter range.If any of you are in Geelong give me a shout.
Cheers!

Hi guys.
This is the first time I have contributed to the forum. I thought I could clarify/confirm some things re the Scottish Chiefs. The lease is for sale, the current asking price is $350k. There is around fourteen years left. I currently lease the brewery from the publican and sell beer to them at wholesale.
It is now an all grain brewery. I installed the mash tun about 18 months ago.
Thanks for the feedback on the beer, yes it was pretty hazy and also had some acetaldehyde.
The Pale ale is not an apa it is based on an english style pale ale. The current recipe is 100% Maris Otter malt and hopped with just EKG, not a hop bomb but a reasonably balanced session beer.
also the Bitter at 3.8% falls into the ordinary bitter range.If any of you are in Geelong give me a shout.
Cheers!

Thanks for coming on to the forum.
Does the Scottish Chiefs have your beer on tap all the time, if so, which ones?

Latest posts

Back