The Scarcity Appropriate Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pascal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm quite new to brewing, but have been interested in it for some time.
I've just started studying again and decided it would be a perfect excuse to splash out and buy a pair of fermenters, and start creating my own beer flavours.
Having been a full time bartender for a few years now i appreciate quality, and have taken the steps to buy decent ingredients, and have even gotten vinyl stickers cut for the individual bottles and batches.

However, I have been finding it really difficult to aquire appropriate bottles.
I bought a couple of boxes of plastic tallie bottles from my local homebrew store but find them particularly tacky, and i find the idea of drinking dozens of coopers tallies exhausting.

If anyone is aware of somewhere i could get some hopefully cheaply, or even has some they would like to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm ideally after pop top bottles, and am based in the brisbane region.

Thanks

By pop top bottles I assume that you mean crown seal tallies (750ml)?
If so then most HBS sell them (Secondhand) for around $5-$8 a dozen.
As a bartender I would have thought you would have had access to cheap full or free empty tallies? :)

TP :beer:

Pascal,

Where are you, if you post your location someone might be able to help...

I've got abot 200-300 crown top tallies I want to off load my self....any chance you live in central QLD?

I have a few hundred crown seal bottles in the shed, half of them are the vb style ones, and half xxxx style ones.. PM me and i will ask the house mate if we can get rid of them :) we are kegging now so it shouldnt be a problem.

I've just started studying again and decided it would be a perfect excuse to splash out and buy a pair of fermenters, and start creating my own beer flavours.
Having been a full time bartender for a few years now i appreciate quality, and have taken the steps to buy decent ingredients, and have even gotten vinyl stickers cut for the individual bottles and batches.

I bought a couple of boxes of plastic tallie bottles from my local homebrew store but find them particularly tacky, and i find the idea of drinking dozens of coopers tallies exhausting.

If anyone is aware of somewhere i could get some hopefully cheaply, or even has some they would like to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have it sorted from the post above but I got all mine from the Weekend Shopper in the Courier Mail and the Trading Post.

About half of mine came from the pubs recycling bin on a sunday morning and the other half from friends recycling bins :)
When I was starting up I was offering a full stubby for N empties to friends. I can't remember what N was. Now I have more stubbies than you can poke a stick at!

The parish priest at the school I teach at drops into my classroom every few weeks with another carton of coopers tallies for me. And the deputy principal drops off cartons of asahi bottles she keeps for me too. Very handy.

Always looks good for the school chaplain to be dropping off a carton to a teacher during class. I always show the kids - 10 year olds - that the bottles are empty before stashing them under my desk. From time to time a relief teacher comes in to find the odd carton or 6 pack under my desk or hidden in a cupboard!

Seriously though, council recycling centres are the go for me - do a bit of scrounging and you'll uncover some golden oldies.

Kev

Brisbane Bottle Exchange
97 Legeyt St, Windsor, QLD 4030

p:(07) 3357 1402

I have not tried these guys but they could be worth a look.

Cheers FROGMAN....

+1 for the recyclers. I do a lap past my local when I can and take in what I can find. To date its 7 cases of stubbies, and two-dozen matching longies. Worth every cent [of petrol I used to get them] :D :D :D

Other than that, perhaps you could put a word in at a pub or two, see if they could save you their bottles. Also, give mates the heads up about it if they don't HB, as they're usually more than willing to put the emptys back in the case and hand it over to you.

Cheers - boingk

Brisbane Bottle Exchange

Cheers FROGMAN....

Wow Froggy, are there still bottle exchanges in existence? It's a good thing if they still are around what with the mess we make of our world & our environment.

SA has the right idea & has charged an extra 5 cents a (Full) bottle for many years now. What a shame all States won't do the same.

Are you too young to remember Denaro's Bottle Exchange at Nundah?

Sorry for the
icon_offtopic.gif

I dont find drinking coopers tallies exhausting at all, in fact I can do it all day. :chug:
Well when I'm allowed to. :huh:

I play golf twice a week, and the bins around the course are usually full of stubbies. I have hundreds of the things and don't need anymore.
Longnecks are harder to come by, but I average one a week or so.

Alternatively, you could use bottles such as the Bundaberg Ginger Beer bottles. They are plenty strong enough, and you can use new PET seals on them, which you can get at your HB shop or supermarket. My wife loves the stuff, and when she empties a bottle I rinse it, put it in the dishwasher to make sure it sanitises, and take it from there.

The answer is to be inventive. The bottles are out there!

Guys, this sounds like he wants swing-top Grolsch or Schwelmer-type bottles.

Unfortunately, they're not likely to be free, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :rolleyes:

Shame you're not in Newie, I could easily give you a hundred VB longies.

I got a heap of Grolsch bottles from a restaurant in Newcastle, after a business lunch cleaned up a couple of cases of them. Oh, and I knew the waiter, who had been collecting for me, as they were emptied. I brewed him some weizen. Good swap for both sides, I reckon.

beerz
Les

By pop top bottles I assume that you mean crown seal tallies (750ml)?
If so then most HBS sell them (Secondhand) for around $5-$8 a dozen.
As a bartender I would have thought you would have had access to cheap full or free empty tallies? :)

haha, no unfortunately bars don't deal with tallies.
something to do with responsible service of alcohol, and tallies getting you tanked :)

I'll check out some new home brew stores. only been to the one in chapel hill so far...

Brisbane Bottle Exchange

Cheers FROGMAN....

i actually went in search of that place with my girlfriend last week.
the road is divided my a train track, and after 97 legeyt is somewhere vaguely based amongst car wrecker yards and a big empty field..
after searching for a while and unsuccessfully trying to call we assumed the place had closed down or something and a contruction company had taken its place..

thanks anyway

You could try some of the home brew shops. The home brew shop in Kedron (Home Brew Oasis) used to sell crown seal longnecks. From memory about $10 per dozen. That's over a year ago tho. I also recall seeing a couple of boxes of glass longnecks at Brewers Choice at Enogerra, but I didn't see any prices on them. Their web site says about $12 per dozen.

If you get yourself a good bench capper you can use screw top bottles. For bottles then, you could contact your local scout den and see if they will sell/give you longnecks. Of course, that's if scout dens still collect bottles.

Latest posts

Back