The Pressure Cooker Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for this piece of equipment after a search revealed little on the forum. Please add to this if you can share tips, techniques, experience or places to get them.

PRESSURE COOKERS

Who?
You, if you are anal about clean yeast propagation.

What?
One of these things:
pressure-cooker.jpg

Why?
Because it achieves a STERILE result... yes you will actually be able to say that word.

Where?
I have recently found 2 sources for pressure cookers.

I am very much considering getting this one from the US, though I am yet to work out how I will get it here, and how much financial damage that will clock up. The main thing is that it is big enough to sterilise big things like multiple flasks and implements.

The other is a cheap Indian/Fijian/Asian bargain store I walked past a few days ago in Lakemba. They had them there for $45 each. They are not, by any means a superior vessel, but that is definitely the most affordable I have ever heard of. It also has a weight controlling the pressure, so it is pretty safe, even though it is cheap. I believe the largest vessel they have is an 11L. Google Map Location

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a pressure cooker, (18l im think), off ebay with sterilisation in mind when I bought it. that was about 4 years ago now and tell the truth I haven't used it much. And its too big for cooking in really.

ALDI regularly have them in stock. Pressure cookers are what people used before Microwave ovens became affordable. Millions of them around. I've had 2 or 3 in the past. No need to buy from the USA.

OK, but I have not seen large ones cheap, and I rarely have time to go out on foot to scope the places I'd like. eg Salvos out in western Sydney suburbs.

If one of the "Aldi Eagles" sees one, could they please post here with the sale details.

Bizier,
I have been on the lookout for presure cookers at vinnies for a while
I think they are like urns the old grannies snap them up before the go on sale :lol:

At a westfield today I saw 'House' or some such homewares shop had baccarat 7L pressure cooker for $150 - i have this one myslef and highly recomend it for an affordable pressure cooker. I use it for cooking primarily, but also use it for sterilising yeast containers etc and the baby bottles when the kids were younger.

Get a pressure cooker, get a decent one and use it for cooking and yeast. My 7L one is big enough to sterilise 2x 500ml scotts and a good few piss sample jars at the same time.

For those not familiar with pressure cooking, think 10 hour slow cooked meal, but done in under an hour (but better in my opnion), with several other advantages... I've been using pressure cookers for over 10 years and wouldn't be without one, my folks have always had them too (a Euopean thing I think?)...

But this thread is about yeast :)

But this thread is about yeast :)

No, it is about pressure cookers and your homebrew. I guess it is about killing everything except yeast. If you can also cook with a brewing tool, that is a bonus :)

And Crusty exactly demostrates my resoning for the evil Amazon link. Identical product, but how to get it here...

Sorry mate,
I didnt click on your little linky.
this is the one I have & theres only two aussie disributors for presto canners,
Green living Australia & The Redback Trading company.
Pretty cheap US price to what I paid but I think you will have a few issues getting it direct to a residential address. I had this problem when I bought mine & had to go through the distributors.

Crusty

I bought one years ago for $10 off ebay. Works like a charm for making slants. I can do batches of 50 slants at a time in it.

Cheers
Dave

Keep an eye out at markets, they come up from time to time. I got a 6L one at Carrara markets a few months ago for $8.

HD

Bizier I've got that exact presto one. I found it on ebay from a seller named 'commanche creek". I paid $182USD delivered at the time which was heaps better than greenliving. I got my jar caps from them though. This was all in aug/sep 2007. Thing hasn't skipped a beat, and I'd recommend it. $350 is pretty steep though...

There is a slight possibility I might want to offload mine in the near future. Anyone interested PM me and I'll let you know if/when that time comes (though don't hold your breathe ;) )

These are the top end in pressure cookers when it comes to quality build and last a lifetime. They are not that much more money and if you are going to order from the USA anyway you are highly recommended to save a bit more for one of these.

I have a Presto and an All American and there is no comparison. Its like cheap tinny india cookware to restaurant grade thick cookware.

Prestos have rubber seals that dry and crack and need replacing. All americans use a metal to metal seal and all you need to do is put a bit of oil on it the first use to form a film for gasket.

Unfortunately my 41.5 quart was stolen from my storage unit, and the only thing I could bring over was the Presto which is fine as I use it for cooking which it does a phenomenal job of.

But I always used all americans for sterile culture work. Used them exclusively for that purpose.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

We use an All-American at work too, for sterile O2/CO2 filters and other bits & pieces. Very useful.

I recently bought an 8l ss russell-hobbs for $70 from kmat thou bigw also have similar. Even on evilpay they go for about $50 2nd hand. Its mainly for cooking food but sterilising is a bonus. a 500ml flask will fit easily but need to see if the 1l does. Larger than 8l are rare and cost lots of $$$ ... :(

I have a Presto and an All American and there is no comparison. Its like cheap tinny india cookware to restaurant grade thick cookware.

Thanks for that mate, I did know the All Americans are the goods, but was banking on the Presto for a balance of economy and size. They look like an industrial spray painting vessel. You are the devil right now.

Perhaps I will get the dirt cheapest one I can get my hands on and look at the 41.5qt AA Cadillac pimpmobile unit as an investment in major sterility.

Back