The Official Sydney 2007 Ahb Pub Crawl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as starting points go, in Balmain their are 2 options.

Start at the top of Darling St (Cnr of Darling & Victoria Rd) & work your way down the hill towards the ferry. This would be very easy for those getting to Balmain on a bus. The 501 from Railway Square should drop you there. It is about 15-20 minutes on the bus from Central. 1st pub would be The Sackville. Very modern facility, completely refurbished, although I have never been in the Ladies toilets. Very good food with Little Creatures, Erdinger & others on tap. Wander along Darling St to the next pub.

or

Start down near the wharf & I think the closest pub that would interest us would be The London. Classic old sandstone pub with awesome views of the balcony, completely refurbished, although I have never been in the Ladies toilets. Awesome food last time I was there and Cooper Sparkling, Pale Ale & Dark ALe on tap. The best thing about this joint is the number of people that actually drink the Coopers. Max Cooper was a part owner at one time & had a room upstairs for his frequent Sydney visits. From here you wander up the hill to the next pub.

Something to think about.
Cheers
Gerard

Ill be there if im not at UNI. I have also applied for a refusable job so if i get that I will be staying in sydney and not going back to uni. So then I will be able to come for sure. Balmain sounds like fun as long as I dont have to choose from the big three.

Thanks for the info Gerard, though I'm disappointed (or secretly relieved) to see you haven't checked out the ladies rooms!.....lol.

I wasn't trying to be negative about Balmain, I just like to be informed. I understand that the gents on the crawl aren't fussed where they 'go' so to speak, but if you ever want your wives to come along and not complain the whole time, the facilities are very important.

Enough toilet talk - let's get down to the serious end of the pint glass - the beers......anyone willing to do some recon?

So far we've got -

Cooper Sparkling, Pale Ale & Dark ALe on tap at the London
Little Creatures, Erdinger & others on tap at the Sackville
ESB and Blonde at the Riverview

By the way, is anyone interested in a piece of memorabilia for the day? Either a T-shirt, stein or something else? Maybe we need a poll for this to gauge interest?

This list was compiled without leaving my office. It is in no way complete, but a pretty good guide as to what is available. Feel free to add to the list if you have any info.
Cheers
Gerard

TOWN HALL HOTEL
366 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
St Arnau,

RIVERVIEW HOTEL
29 Birchgrove Road
Balmain 2041
(02)98101151
The Riverview has ESB on a hand pump & St Peters Blonde on tap.

BALMAIN MONKEY BAR
255 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
(02) 9810 1749
Coopers Dark, Hoegarden, RedOak ,

LONDON HOTEL
234 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
http://www.thelondonhotel.com.au
The London has the best drop of Coopers in Sydney.
Sparkling Pale & Dark Ale on tap. $3.70 a schooner

SACKVILLE HOTEL
599 DARLING STREET
ROZELLE NSW 2039
(02) 9555 7555
Erdinger, Redback ,Coopers & Little Creatures,
Crackenback (Snowy Mountains Brewery)

ROYAL OAK
36 College Street
Balmain, NSW
(02) 9810 2311
http://www.theroyaloak.com.au/
Coopers, Scharers Lager, James Squire Golden Ale, Guinness.

Can we stick in a visit to the 'Sack' for an Erdinger first up?

-warning- Do not go caught 'reliveling oneself' in Balmain.

It's a public menace and attracts public compliants and a police charge so they say. :eek:

Be pissed if you must but be polite.

Police officers are human are human and do get pissed too. (off duty)

Piss in a toilet and you will have no complaints. 'Most' cops are just dudes and dudettes too.

I'll be more than happy to kick off at the Sackville for for the Erdinger, not that impressed by the St Peters Blonde. Everything else sounds noice. For those whi haven't tried a Picton brew may enjoy.

(lets pick a day where the licenceing cops aren't out in force)

Balmain is my uptopia for a kickoff. Everything else is a logical follow on.
Cant see why the exotic beers of the city should be excluded.

I'll have to see if i can find a cheap flight down - last year was an absolute blast :super:

My bed made up pumpy old mate B)

cheers Ross

Do you want the Paddington bear or Pooh bear bed cover this year?

Beer crate extension so you feet dont hang over at the end of the bed.

'Thomas the tank engine railway' and 'Hotwheels track' all set up to play with .

Pumpy ;)

not sure if its been done already but on little squares advice im gonna start a poll as to who wants a "momento" of this years crawl , be it a shirt , hat, pin , stien .. let the polls decide , probably need to sort somethin fairly quick to get it knocked up in time for the day..

link is below

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=13744&st=

Well, the results from the poll thread are in and the decision is Balmain on the 14th April.

Now, to decide which end to start from? No poll, but how about starting from the Sackville? No reason other than walking downhill sounds like a good idea. :super: :party:

sackville seems the popular choice ... please vote in the momento for the day poll too guys if your keen

Just trying to establish a batting order. There are 22 pubs in the Balmain/Rozelle area. I will find out what is on tap at a few others throughout the week.
Cheers
Gerard

SACKVILLE HOTEL
599 DARLING STREET
ROZELLE NSW 2039
(02) 9555 7555
Erdinger, Redback ,Coopers & Little Creatures,
Crackenback (Snowy Mountains Brewery)

CAT & FIDDLE
DARLING STREET
Balmain
Nothing of interest to us on tap here.

RIVERVIEW HOTEL
29 Birchgrove Road
Balmain 2041
(02)98101151
The Riverview has Braidwood ESB on a hand pump & St Peters Blonde on tap.

TOWN HALL HOTEL
366 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
St Arnau,

NEW UNITY HALL HOTEL
292 Darling Street
Balmain NSW 2041
02 9810 1331

BALMAIN MONKEY BAR
255 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
(02) 9810 1749
Coopers Dark, Hoegarden, RedOak ,

LONDON HOTEL
234 DARLING STREET
BALMAIN NSW 2041
http://www.thelondonhotel.com.au
The London has the best drop of Coopers in Sydney & pretty good food.
Sparkling Pale & Dark Ale on tap. $3.70 a schooner

ROYAL OAK
36 College Street
Balmain, NSW
(02) 9810 2311
http://www.theroyaloak.com.au/
Coopers, Scharers Lager, James Squire Golden Ale, Guinness.

SIR WILLIAM WALLACE HOTEL
31 Cameron Street
Balmain NSW
02 9555 8570

DRY DOCK HOTEL
90 College Street
Balmain NSW 2041
02 9555 1306

EXCHANGE HOTEL
Beattie & Mullens Streets
Balmain NSW 2041
02 99810 1171

DICK'S HOTEL
89 Beattie Street,
Balmain NSW 2041
02 9818 2828

COMMERCIAL HOTEL
82 Darling Street
Balmain NSW 2041
02 9810 1663

The hotel was established in 1875 and is now the nearest hotel to the Balmain Ferry Wharf.

looks like a walk up/down darling street could be the order of the day ?
seems most of whats listed there is on darling street ,
start at sackville and work our way to the ferry wharf perhaps for those that want to venture into the city ..

Sackville sounds good. My mate lives round the corner, so I'll park at his joint and drag him along for the day.

ive just been hit with a roster of nights i have to cover , can someone save me scrolling back through the whole thread and tell me what date this thing is happenin ???

Barra,

14th April starting at the sackville, Balmain not sure of the time

Cheers

Shonky

cheers shonky now to see , if i can be there or will i need to be at work that night

April 14. Is that set in stone so I can arrange for the day off.

g

I won't be down until the 16th :( ... and then only mid week.

I'd love to get back home for a few frosty libations with fellow brewers. :beer:

InCider.

Back