The Official Sydney 2007 Ahb Pub Crawl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I- why wait? Nothing wrong with having a bi-annual event I say. :beer:

bi annual whats wrong with monthly???

hopefully depending on work/family commitments ill be up for it

i like the idea of a commerative pin, shirt, hat or something to that effect mike ...

perhaps a start over the harbour in manly for a few and a ferry ride back to town to freshen up and start again before heading to the balmain area or is that too complex and drawn out ??

balmain sounds great to me!! lookign forward to some esb on the hand pump...

any time in the next 3 weeks is fine by me.. lol not really going to happen I am sure. Maybe if SWMBO allows me to fly in for this I can come back to Sydney for it. Might even be able to join Jayse. Only time will tell.

All I know is that last year was an absolute blast and there are many a folk legend made from it. Including the infamous wheelchair incident :p

Cheers

HK

Ok Gerard,

Looks like Bailmain is a go!

Seeing you started the topic, and your availability is limited, how about you set a date, time and meeting place?

ill make a decision when the dates and venues are set!! <_< im always keen for a piss up,would be even better if ya get to meet people with the same interests drink beer and talking beer then drinking even more beer then talking shit. :beerbang:

balmain tho is gunna be an adventure from the mountains.

might do my own pub crawl along the train line then meet u folks in the city.

I'm in as well. I'll be at Avalon on the weekend of the 24th, 24th March.

Seeing as the G-Man isn't available until the weekend before, maybe it'll be an April event?

I'll have to see if i can find a cheap flight down - last year was an absolute blast :super:

My bed made up pumpy old mate B)

cheers Ross

balmain sounds great to me!! lookign forward to some esb on the hand pump...

Hope the cask is fresh!!!! ..Might have to take a few for the team to get the freshie on the pump

ill make a decision when the dates and venues are set!! <_< im always keen for a piss up,would be even better if ya get to meet people with the same interests drink beer and talking beer then drinking even more beer then talking shit. :beerbang:

balmain tho is gunna be an adventure from the mountains.

might do my own pub crawl along the train line then meet u folks in the city.

KVB,

Its a thrill from Campbelltown on the train to Central......Then the bus thru Glebe and up to Balmain is a wow too....

Maybe meet at Railway Square for the bus trip!?!?!

Hmmmm Commemorative Pins and shirts Hey????<_< been there...

Guys, just a thought.......

Anyone travelling by train and bus or train and ferry is going to pay in time and fares, the difference between the cheaper Balmain based beers and those same beers at a city pub.

I'm definitely still in favour of a city based crawl as I'd rather have a wider variety of beers and access to cleaner, more modern facilities than those on offer in Balmain.

As it's only once a year, I save my pennies for this special day and make sure I only drink my favourite 40 or so beers!!!...lol

The Belgium is definitely not to be missed, neither is the Lord Nelson as a first stop - that
Olde Admiral was my first beer last year (as a pain killer from an unfortunate wheelchair incident.....) and I'm seeking revenge!

Anyone else still in for a city crawl? Perhaps a modified version to allow us more lounging/drinking time and a wider variety of beers.

PS: I'm happy to organise t-shirts or polos or perhaps even commemorative glasses again for this years crawl, if there's enough interest.

The City certainly does have a lot to offer for the Beer Snobs* pub crawl, but I reckon I am ready to wander through Balmain for a change.

Belgian beers don't excite me, and neither does the city. Balmain on a Saturday arvo has a real buzz about it. There are some good venues with a wide range of beers, good food & clean toilets! (yes that is important, ask your Mrs). Lunch at The London would be enough for me for me really.

When we had an afternoon at the Riverview for one of the "Beer's with the Brewer" outings we had the pub to ourselves until 5pm. The publican was very pleased to see us, & nothing was a bother, she even got the pie oven stocked up for us. I would much prefer a pie & a pint to a glass of anything they are over-charging you for at those Belgian inspired joints. Oh & by the way what is it about Belgian beer cafes & their lack of TAB facilities???????

That is my 2 cents worth.

cheers
Gerard

* Me being the biggest beer snob that exists.

To be honest Gerard, the 'facilities' at the Riverview and it's food left a little to be desired for me. That and the fact that they have a poor selection of beers. It's also not to easy to get to for those of us with long train journeys.

I'm not trying to be a beer snob, but I do like to sample a wide range of interesting brews on days such as these. The Belgium is a fave of mine, as the BJCP course has well and truly developed my palette, but you're right, it's not for everyone.

Linz and I might have to just hook up with the city bound folks later on......

Balmain may need a practice run to see what is attractive & what isn't. The Riverview is by no means a modern pub, & I didn't venture into the ladies, but I am sure they got a coat of paint in 1975, just like the rest of the pub. The Hand-pumped ESB is an attraction with the St Peters Blonde as an alternate. A pint or two & then move on to the next pub.
cheers
Gerard

i should be good for early/mid april... all booked out for March.
G_M, maybe you should get your IT skills into action and sort a "poll" :p

i drink 2 - 3 times a week in the city, so something different over in balmain would be good for me too, But i see little squares point too. (again a poll might be useful). I missed the riverview beers last time (hadn't seen the thread). Although i was on a 'pub walk' with friends that day in Balmain, we missed the bus stop for the walk down the hill to the riverview and ended up skipping it.

Gerard,

I agree. The Riverview is a totally unreconstructed local straight out of the 50s. I would prefer to try some of the Balmain pubs. Why not make a meeting place at the pub near the ferry stop on the end of the peninsula where it is easy for people to get to from Circular Quay. We could then progress towards Rozelle on foot.

Any other ideas, anyone?

EB

I'm definitely keen in principle, but I guess will ultimately depend on the date that is settled on.

Balmain also sounds good to me. I've only been to a Balmain pub once and it was a 21st way back. Can't remember much unfortunately... :p :party:

A start location near the ferry would be good as I'm sure Linz and I can wrangle an appearance for the initial get together. We can then steal any city bound crawlees for our return to the city.

Last time I went to the Riverview, it was hell getting back to the city, though I'm sure 5 people in a taxi would make it much more cost effective - alcoholic state pending........

Balmain has some great restaurants and cafes which will make it much more pleasant for those wishing to eat, but Linz and I really only go on the crawl for the chance to meet other AHB'ers and to sample a vast variety of beers, generally not found bottled or readily available.

Perhaps a list of the beers found in pubs around Balmain might help.

Gerard,

I agree. The Riverview is a totally unreconstructed local straight out of the 50s. I would prefer to try some of the Balmain pubs. Why not make a meeting place at the pub near the ferry stop on the end of the peninsula where it is easy for people to get to from Circular Quay. We could then progress towards Rozelle on foot.

Any other ideas, anyone?

EB

unreconstructed old and feral are usually signs of a good pub arent they , looks like the numbers in the poll so far are swinging rapidly in balmains favor ,as i said in the poll thread do we really need flash facilities as long as the brews are cold and the glasses are clean , not like we are staying the weekend in one pub ..

Barra, re the facilities - I agree for the blokes - All we need is a tree or wall really. But it's different for the ladies who have to sit their toushies down on a skanky toilet seat.
Tim

true true phrak, but as someone famous once said "you cant please all of the people all of the time" someone is alway going to be not happy about something ... let the poll numbers decide ...

(no offence intended to anyone with regard to the above)

Latest posts

Back