The Nine Dollar Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure was!
I recall they also had a few 'aged' beers (Wee heavy possibly?) on the menu last time I was in there, going for a very reasonable $35 a stubbie.

Maybe we could all pool our crawl funds and take an eye dropper each?.... :p

It's interesting to note that the Corona and the Redoak IPA are similarly priced per litre... or at least for the prices discussed in this thread.

I expect to pay $8-10 for a pint of craft beer, don't mind paying a bit more if i know that more effort/ingredients went into it (excluding marketing).

I paid $9 recently for a stubbie of Carona at the Subi hotel. When I asked the barman to tell the manager that it should be a criminal offence to charge that, he responded by saying that they had reduced the price from last year after numerous complaints at $9.50 per stubbie...

I hope you were buying said "Carona" for someone else :lol: I don't think it's a criminal offence to sell overpriced watered down sake to people that just drink it because its trendy, or something.

What did you get from there?
First time I went there they had a really decent selection of beers on tap...plenty of Aussie micros, few nice imported beers including some Belgians.
Ever since, half those beers have been removed. But either way, I do recall paying at least $7 for a 'glass' (possibly 375ml?) of whatever I chose...usually Lil Creatures or St Arnou.

Was just 3x golden ales and something else i can't remember. Wasn't anything fancy though, i may have indeed just heard him wrong. I did tell him i thought i was in the wrong business though. With the usual clientele's tastebuds and the length of the beer lines there i'm not surprised they got rid of half the taps - half their beer would have been off after a while quite easily. Pretty sure the cool "invisible line" glasses are schmiddys, which are a bit less than a schooner, 375mL sounds right as a real schooner is 425mL.

The now defunct Lookout in Scarborough, WA used to call 425mL a pint.

Hey,

I suspect a glass of tap water in these places would cost $5. This is entirely due to the "Pussy Mentality" that if I paid heaps for it, I must be worthy!!

HTFU Australia before your rights to drink alcohol at all are removed.

cheers

Darren

I had a midi of Asashi super dry at the Hunters Hill Pub about a month ago. It wasn't an upper class pub and the beer certinally wasn't that spectacular. BUT THE PRICE, $7 PER MIDI!!!!!!! What is this world coming to? There cant be any more than about 10cents worth of ingredients in a midi of the watery crap.

My Dads a bit of a VB fan :eek: . Old habits are hard to break I guess

Im sure if they new it was $12 a stubbie they would not have bought it.

Kabooby :)

still want to hear what you told the chef to do....

$14 for a pint at Redoak?...must be drinking the cheap stuff! :p
They still hold the record for the most expensive beer i've ever seen (and drunk) at $15 for a 60ml measure.

I was a sucker and bought the $15 for 60ml. Got a glass of dominant sherry + Vegemite flavours. Wasn't impressed

Was just 3x golden ales and something else i can't remember. Wasn't anything fancy though, i may have indeed just heard him wrong. I did tell him i thought i was in the wrong business though. With the usual clientele's tastebuds and the length of the beer lines there i'm not surprised they got rid of half the taps - half their beer would have been off after a while quite easily. Pretty sure the cool "invisible line" glasses are schmiddys, which are a bit less than a schooner, 375mL sounds right as a real schooner is 425mL.

DJR,
agreed, they are schmiddies... from memory?!! and i did the same thing as you after purchasing 3 x Rogers.
i had a $20 and a $50 note. Went with the tentative approach with the 50, thinking the 20 might just not be enough.
was way off.. only got soemthing like $20.40 change :eek:
havent been back obviously.

i remember there was some "uber ghey" glass thing going on... :rolleyes:
please remind me, what is that "invisible line" crap again..???

Hi fellas,
take care when naming beer sizes.

The europeans don't have pints, 375 ml is only ever a beer bottle size and Australians have a bunch of names for different beer glass sizes.

I'd recommend quoting the glass size in ml otherwise all the yarns about prices are a bit hollow.

tdh

Hi fellas,

The europeans don't have pints, 375 ml is only ever a beer bottle size and Australians have a bunch of names for different beer glass sizes.

I'd recommend quoting the glass size in ml otherwise all the yarns about prices are a bit hollow.

tdh
Someone should tell the English that...

An Imperial Pint is 568mL. Most beers I found in other parts of Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) were in half litres and litres. Apart from some of the beers in Germany that are served in special glasses (like klsch) which I think are 300mL.

I only managed to have one beer in Belgium (cry), and I'm not sure what size it would have been.

Hi fellas,

tdh

Thats the thing tdh, the schmiddy is mainly (i think) a sydney anomoly.
sitting obviously somewhere between a middy and a schooner.
so i would think most people are actually unaware of the exact volume. to my knowledge the phenom was started by the great minds (note sarcasm) at 'merivale' and its catching on everywhere. :angry:

i would say 375ml is an educated guess. i must say i have never seen the volume printed on these vessels.

Someone should tell the English that...

An Imperial Pint is 568mL.

:lol: agreed, the Imp pint should be made the universal beer glass size.!! the end.

ohh.. and make it PhAT B)

Thats the thing tdh, the schmiddy is mainly (i think) a sydney anomoly.
sitting obviously somewhere between a middy and a schooner.
so i would think most people are actually unaware of the exact volume. to my knowledge the phenom was started by the great minds (note sarcasm) at 'merivale' and its catching on everywhere. :angry:

i would say 375ml is an educated guess. i must say i have never seen the volume printed on these vessels.

340mL - Gibraltar Glass. "Duratuff". Beer (schmiddy)Weights and Measures approved. Capacity: 340ml. Dimension: 146mm.Tall. Carton Content: 3Doz.

12oz or so. Middy is 10oz, Schooner is 15 oz. Where's the missing 3oz? In the pub owners' pocket.

Apart from some of the beers in Germany that are served in special glasses (like klsch) which I think are 300mL.

The Stange and Becher glasses (for koelsch and altbier) are 200-300mL, though most traditional pubs that I've read about, and the glasses I have are the 200mL ones.

Latest posts

Back