The Local Taphouse In St Kilda [pub Review]

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absinthe

Reaction score
had a great night at The Local Taphouse" in St Kilda, could not fault the night (and being a chef i can normally find something to fault). food was fantastic and good prices, ($28.50 for a rib eye and it was better than the $75 one i had at Rockpool) 20 beers on tap and 75 in the bottle, was amazing, good waiters who knew about the beers.

tried quite a few of the beers on tap and they were well cared for and served at good temps and the staff had alot to chat about beer if you get them started. the beer on the pump was a little to flat even for a cask ale but its only the second beer they have put through it so im sure they will sort it out.

over all i can not recommend it highly enough.

I agree! Spent a couple afternoons there at the end of December in the upper bar. The pizza was yum and the beer, both from the tap and from the bottle, was great!

i live about 40 mins away and i can tell you i will be there at least once a month from now on :)

The Sandringham train was my friend while staying at the Intercontinental.
The 16 tram was nice too when I wasn't in a hurry. Wish I lived 40 minutes away.

Now, if we can convince the Archive in Brisbane to get as daring as the Taphouse in their taps.... or get the Platform to be more consistant....

The Sandringham train was my friend while staying at the Intercontinental.
The 16 tram was nice too when I wasn't in a hurry. Wish I lived 40 minutes away.

Now, if we can convince the Archive in Brisbane to get as daring as the Taphouse in their taps.... or get the Platform to be more consistant....

Or a Taphouse opens in Brissy? ;-)

had a great night at The Local Taphouse" in St Kilda, could not fault the night (and being a chef i can normally find something to fault). food was fantastic and good prices, ($28.50 for a rib eye and it was better than the $75 one i had at Rockpool) 20 beers on tap and 75 in the bottle, was amazing, good waiters who knew about the beers.

tried quite a few of the beers on tap and they were well cared for and served at good temps and the staff had alot to chat about beer if you get them started. the beer on the pump was a little to flat even for a cask ale but its only the second beer they have put through it so im sure they will sort it out.

over all i can not recommend it highly enough.

Visited the Taphouse during the last ANHC gig. Also agree on the quality of the food and beer. Whats a pot worth now, just interested. Will be over that way again for the ANHC and The Taphouse will again be on my agenda.

BYB

I can't believe I didn't know about this place. I stayed in St Kilda for 1 night a couple of weeks ago, went looking for a decent beer house and couldn't find one.

Now I know better.

Visited the Taphouse during the last ANHC gig. Also agree on the quality of the food and beer. Whats a pot worth now, just interested. Will be over that way again for the ANHC and The Taphouse will again be on my agenda.

BYB
The cheapest/least expensive actual craft beer last night was True South Dark Ale which was $4.70, Last Drop Strattford Bitter was about the same I think. Hargreaves Hill ESB was around $5.70. At the other end of the scale was Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout at $10.50, worth every cent. With ample time to plan hopefully there will be some top quality stuff on tap during the ANHC as I'm sure pretty much every person attending will be paying a visit.

Was there for my 30th last December, best beers I managed to sift through (because there's no way you could get through a substantial amount in one afternoon) was Chatoe Rouge Wet Hop Ale, Chevalier Saison and the best TTL (bottled) I've had. Worth the mention was the Coopers Vintage, and Brass Monket Stout. Agree with the sentiments on the staff, know their stuff and quite friendly, food was also very quaffing. We enjoyed it that much that SWMBO is contemplating having her 30th there in November this year, only problem is she knows I wont be able to help myself to a few

Your a brave, wild and full of conviction Steve if you seek to take on Bris-Vegas. May the froth be with you .... it is strong in this one .... tssskkkk!

snipped>>
..... May the froth be with you .... it is strong in this one .... tssskkkk!

Sorry can't photoshop the heiny out but someone can I am sure.

r2beer2.jpg

Now, you're a man who does your market research a bit better than that, Steve ... looking for the edgy location.

I think you'll find the Sunshine Coast hinterland is where it's really at ;)

Back