The Local Taphouse In St Kilda [pub Review] Update

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"But you know, don't christing ask me 3 times during my meal if everything is alright. It was the last two times, wasn't it? What have you brought me since that might have changed that? "

Oh, I @#$%ing hate it when they do that in the States!! They always manage to time it such that you have a mouthful of food...

I will however, on the odd occasion, tip in Australia for fast, friendly, and efficient service.

I have that happen here in Brisbane all the time... at the Story Bridge Hotel, at the 5th Element, at The Grand Central, at the Archive.... and in Melbourne, at the Taphouse. I don't mind that as long as it isn't repeated, and it usually isn't.

As for tips for good service...

Scenario 1. My beer is nearly empty, and the bartender has walked by several times, seemingly with something else to do, like wipe off the counter or to prep some mix, or maybe talk to someone else who works there. My beer is drained, and still they walk by. I guess it's up to me to jump up and wave saying that I want to spend $8 on another beer.... or leave. No tip... here, in the states or anywhere. Business is lost, and bad press can be had, either by reviews, comments on websites, and word-of-mouth. This may in turn prevent new business.

Scenario 2. My beer is near empty, and without any prompts, the bartender askes if I want another beer. I like this, and usually will have another, and another. Usually I'll leave them a tip fir their good customer service. In my book, good customer service means the business makes a bit more money, and gets good press with reviews, etc. which may in turn bring in new business.

It's the customer's choice in the end.
Just my 2

Who here tips their mechanic when he/she fixes your car properly? Or the checkout chick because he/she packed the bags well? Way I see it if you're don't like the money you're earning, get a different f**king job. I didn't just pay for my meal & drinks (whick by the way, pays your wage) only to give you more f**king money because you did your job. F**k off.

End rant :p

Has there been changes to the Menu at Darlinghurst recently? Had dinner with friends there a few weeks ago on a Friday night and my order dropped off the face off the earth. Not very impressed as we were told we had to be finished with the table by 8 (fine with us as we were seeing a movie shortly after), but they couldn't bring my meal out by then, and had to leave without eating.

Always had great service there (the restaurant staff were doing their best), the menu looked a bit different so I put it down to teething problems. No tip that night though...

Who said that tips are expected? The reference to tips was in regards to pretty much 100% positive feedback from customers in the restaurant which was also reflected in increased tips. That's peoples own choice.

i can understand that if you get good service you may want to reward staff, but customer service is there job. if the service is really good somewere i let the staff know that in no uncertain terms and usually spend more as a result. if i get bad service i also let them know that and dont spend more money at that venue.it should be up to a good employer to see these things and reward his/her own staff. i dont tip as i believe the more poeple do so,the more it is expected and we will continue further down the slippery slope of americanisation this country seems to be sliding down.

none of you guys have worked in hospitality i take it? because you would know how stressful it is and how crap the hours are and how crap the PAY is, most waiter(ess) dont get penalties on weekend, just as mechanics dont have to deal with drunk people trying to chat them up, or just being an arsehole when its close to closing time about getting another drink.. do you whinge and complain when the shop you are browsing in is trying to close and you want to look around the shop for another 30 mins?

hospitality would have to be the most underpaid job around for the hours and stress involved

My job sucks. I'm going to quit.

Suck it up.

[EDIT: And talk to a nurse or a teacher or a frigging cop, princess.]

Bunch of whining cheap arse homebrewers :p my 2 cents!!

I think you've all lost touch of of what the original post was about 'The local Tap House' I'm one of the lucky ones to be able to call 'The local' my local (I live a couple of blocks up the road) and I think Steve and the team deserve a massive congrats for having the balls to create such a fantastic craft beer focused venue!
The staff are always happy and keen to chat about anything Beer and will go out of their way to make you feel at home whether it be a quick beer after work or a group of excited peeps on holiday. :party:

The world of hospitality is ever changing and to run a profitable business in it, you need to constantly switch it up. if changes work it will reflect in sales, if one doesn't the all you can do is shrug your shoulders and say 'at least we tried it' and move on to the next.

Cheers gang for creating somewhere that's almost as comfy as my own lounge room. :icon_cheers:

The Taphouse (Darlo) is better than my lounge room, that's for sure!

:(

Went to Taphouse 2 weeks ago. I live outside of town so it certainly is not my local, but this would be the 15th-20th time I have been. My wife and I dropped past about 4pm on a Sunday evening for a couple of beers before going to see 'The National' gig (awesome show btw)

Were greeted at the door by two burly, surley faced bouncers! They searched my wife's bag and made it clear, in very strong terms, that under no cirucmstances was her bottle of water to come out of her bag whilst in the bar.
If I hadn't been to this pub before & I didn't know the beer list inside, we would have left then and there.

Inside, there were TWO other patrons. So before we turned up there was a 1:1 ratio of bouncers to patrons. :lol:

I do get a bit on my high horse about this issue but - It's a BEER pub. WTF is with the bouncers? I've had along standing rule of thumb that has seen me well for years. Bars with Bouncers = Bars with dickheads. If you can't attract a self regualting crowd, then your bar has a problem. If you need to tell people not to drink water in your bar, then your bar has bigger problems.

As it happens, I have been charged with organisng the venue for a catch up with some old St Kilda Rd work mates. The Taphouse would have very likely been the location. But now it wont be. Im not going to have my friends hassled to get into an empty bar.

I'll be giving it more chances though....Southern Tier 2 x IPA forgives many sins.

Were greeted at the door by two burly, surley faced bouncers!
I went to Cookie the other day because someone told me they have good beer. I was refused entry. When I asked why, they said it was because I was wearing shorts. Everybody was wearing shorts. I think more likely they had "enough males" in the house that night, or because I was with my father in law whom they didn't think was "young and trendy" enough. Fine with me, there's plenty of other places to drink good beer. I won't be going back.

Off-topic for the taphouse sorry - I just wanted to agree with the whole bouncers = exclusive tossers thing. FWIW I've been to the taphouse many times while there were bouncers there (I think just on the busy nights?) but they only ever just clicked their counter as I went past. That's a bit crap if they search bags. Wonder if there's been some trouble? I'm sure they wouldn't bother with bouncers unless there was some legal/liability reason that required it.

I went to Cookie the other day because someone told me they have good beer. I was refused entry. When I asked why, they said it was because I was wearing shorts. Everybody was wearing shorts. I think more likely they had "enough males" in the house that night, or because I was with my father in law whom they didn't think was "young and trendy" enough. Fine with me, there's plenty of other places to drink good beer. I won't be going back.

Off-topic for the taphouse sorry - I just wanted to agree with the whole bouncers = exclusive tossers thing. FWIW I've been to the taphouse many times while there were bouncers there (I think just on the busy nights?) but they only ever just clicked their counter as I went past. That's a bit crap if they search bags. Wonder if there's been some trouble? I'm sure they wouldn't bother with bouncers unless there was some legal/liability reason that required it.
As a visitor to the big smoke ,i've visited both places ,Cookies i've only been to during the day,no security .Shorts ,thongs .tatts,no problem. :D Only one bad experience at the taphouse,with one particular bouncer being the arsehole,all the rest have been good. The Belgian cafe .bluestone ,has excellent securityIMO,friendly and polite. Definitely something some pubs need to have a look at,they might think they're only losing 1 customer,but word gets around ;)

Sounds like they can forget my patronage if the going tell people no bottles of water (mrs dont drink grog)and no shorts..there's other venues i can spend my dollars..our zealous guards can ruin it..will frequent the curve bar at ArtsCentre for my next trip,or travel down beach road to True South

Thanks for the feedback and constructive comments Polar Beer. Naturally, it's not fun getting criticism but I will follow up as yours is not the experience we want courteous customers to have at the door. Hopefully your next experience is out of this world to make up for it..

We are required as part of our planning permit to have crowd controllers at certain nights and times and we expect them to be polite and friendly to entering customers. We certainly don't want them to be burly bouncer types..

Normally (and thankfully!), they are there for far busier times than what you experienced. The roof terrace upstairs is always the most popular area and that's where most people usually go first until it gets packed. Downstairs is always the second area to fill. When the new 12 metre bocce court is installed downstairs in a few months, that will draw its own crowd (hopefully) as what beats craft beer and bocce?

Please let me know if anything is NQR (Not Quite Right) again..

Steve

they searched my wife's bag and made it clear, in very strong terms, that under no cirucmstances was her bottle of water to come out of her bag whilst in the bar.
i would have walked out,what damage was she going to do..Owners have to remember its not the regulars,you have worry about..its first timer people that come in..if they gave given a bad time they wont come back,they will pass the word onto there friends..market research stats say bad complaints people tell 7 while good is only tell 3..

i would have walked out,what damage was she going to do..Owners have to remember its not the regulars,you have worry about..its first timer people that come in..if they gave given a bad time they wont come back,they will pass the word onto there friends..market research stats say bad complaints people tell 7 while good is only tell 3..
I'd just like to clarify my comments,only 1 slightly off putting experience in about 12 visits to the taphouse,great staff,great beer %99.99999999999 of the time :D

sorry toper1,but it only needs one visit..i have been a few times myself..can't fault the beer and bar staff..

Back