The Hop Character/flavour Wheel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...well look at Mittlefrh smack in the middle, is that saying it has an equal balance of all the characters or none of them at all?

My guess is they are not saying it has none of the characters because only a moron would think that.

Probably best if you email Jamil Zainasheff or John Palmer and ask them what they meant when they created it. :rolleyes:

I thought thats Nicks chart quite accurately portrayed at a single glance the relative "profiles" of most of the mainstream hops. Obviously each and every one of us has slightly different perceptions of aroma/flavour profiles but that is only a learned experience.

As for Mittlefr. Its because on the scale to 1-9 it has bugger all flavour/bitterness and therefore ALOT should be used if the brewer requires flavour/aroma from it.

Lets not get into the facts that seasonal variation (and storage) can turn a fantastic hop into a CHEESE beer.

For example Saaz aint Saaz unless its fresh, Cascade ain't Cascade unless its fresh and I suspect we will all soon be discovering that Citra ain't necessarily Citra.

Relabelling of hops worldwide by HB shops has been a problem over the years.

Basically, If it isn't in the foil it was packed in with the date of production, then there is absolutely NO guarantee that it is what you are buying.

Thems the facts.

cheers

tnd

you two really need to get a room...

Great idea to start the thread Nick, like others have pointed out the info is out there but it's nice to be able to look at a glace on what might suit the beer your after..

Cheers BDB

Maybe a bit off-topic, making an American Pale Ale any ideas on Galaxy & Fuggle together?
Thinking something like complimenting colours :)

Maybe a bit off-topic, making an American Pale Ale any ideas on Galaxy & Fuggle together?
Thinking something like complimenting colours :)

Id ditch the fuggles. More suited to english beers.

Lord Raja Goomba III does a lot of APA's (as do i), and he has done a fair bit of brewing with Galaxy combining Cascade and NS all together i reckon. Sounds tasty.

Cascade is definitely "to style".....Citra is a newish hop that is retardedly popular at the moment. Citra by itself goes very well.

Maybe pm lrj and see what he reckons, but i'll bet most other brewers will say to lose the fuggles.

MMmm I have 100g Fuggles struggling to find a beer to put them in.. that I want to make. :)

Mushroom Composte.. sounds delicious.

Id ditch the fuggles. More suited to english beers.

You're right Big Nath, probably most will say to ditch it...not me though.

After my early AG successes with Argon's LFPA using EKG at 40 mins for bittering (and of course this can require a large-ish amount of EKG at times depending on AAU), I have tried fruity hops and english hops over a few beers and I quite like it. The key has been English hops early so there is flavour, with the C hops/fruity/whatever hops adding both flavour and aroma.

In fact I wager you could use first gold exclusively in an APA and most people would be perfectly hapy with the APA descriptor. I've used first gold and galaxy in an AIPA that was well received by local pissheads BAR members.

Although I have been advised recently to avoid Target and C hops as it tends to create a late POR type character (unless you are into that), but I've enjoyed combos of EKG/cascade, Styrians/cascade, ekg/amarillo and even once saaz/amarillo.

Certainly it depends on what you are chasing flavour and aroma wise, but I don't think it's an automatic no. For e.g. although others have had success with Summit, I did not (google search will reveal my thoughts as well as those such as Cocko who has used it without fault), and I would much sooner attempt a fuggles/galaxy cross over than I would use summit again for a fruity 1.050 ish 40 IBUish beer.

I would not use them in the same additions, but the english hops as flavour with a bit of citrus/fruit hops etc on top of them, then brewed with say wy1469 at warmer temps...delicious.

Yes, I will be in the minority, and you won't score comp points with the combo, but you just might stumble on something you really like. Just my 2c. :beer:

edit: 100gms of fuggles - perfect - use them for bittering between 30 and 60 mins and the rest late. Send the batch to me if you don't want to drink it haha

You're right Big Nath, probably most will say to ditch it...not me though.

After my early AG successes with Argon's LFPA using EKG at 40 mins for bittering (and of course this can require a large-ish amount of EKG at times depending on AAU), I have tried fruity hops and english hops over a few beers and I quite like it. The key has been English hops early so there is flavour, with the C hops/fruity/whatever hops adding both flavour and aroma.

In fact I wager you could use first gold exclusively in an APA and most people would be perfectly hapy with the APA descriptor. I've used first gold and galaxy in an AIPA that was well received by local pissheads BAR members.

Although I have been advised recently to avoid Target and C hops as it tends to create a late POR type character (unless you are into that), but I've enjoyed combos of EKG/cascade, Styrians/cascade, ekg/amarillo and even once saaz/amarillo.

Certainly it depends on what you are chasing flavour and aroma wise, but I don't think it's an automatic no. For e.g. although others have had success with Summit, I did not (google search will reveal my thoughts as well as those such as Cocko who has used it without fault), and I would much sooner attempt a fuggles/galaxy cross over than I would use summit again for a fruity 1.050 ish 40 IBUish beer.

I would not use them in the same additions, but the english hops as flavour with a bit of citrus/fruit hops etc on top of them, then brewed with say wy1469 at warmer temps...delicious.

Yes, I will be in the minority, and you won't score comp points with the combo, but you just might stumble on something you really like. Just my 2c. :beer:

edit: 100gms of fuggles - perfect - use them for bittering between 30 and 60 mins and the rest late. Send the batch to me if you don't want to drink it haha

Actually, i'll take a few steps back LF. You raise some interesting points that i hadn't considered before actioning my "push button finger".

One of my favourite mainstreamish beers is LCPA, and if i recall correctly, the original (as does argon's??) is bittered with EKG and flavoured with Cascade or Amarillo, so that shoots my idea clean out the water. Hadn't thought of that...

It's actually one of the more legendary beers on here that i've never tried to brew. Maybe i should grab some good ol English hops and knock one out.

As a side note......Summit. I've got 500g of the stuff that i don't know what to do with. Sounds like i should pm cocko and pick his brains.

Back