The Brewing Gods Have Been Unkind

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consomm
Reaction score
Left work a bit early today to do an evening brew, had my mrs get the strike water heating up so it was ready when I arrived, but the cheap-ass digital thermometer I use (a new one, after I dunked the last one) was reading a full 10 degrees variance on the electric HLT's alalogue thermostat. Which one do I trust ?

Sorry Brewing Gods, I'm not pissing in the wind with guesswork. I trust none of them, so mission aborted. Pain in the ass. Now all I have to do tonight is get drunk and write shit on this forum. Where's the 'chat' link' :)

Anorther good reason to get myself a stainless NTC probe fitted and rig up a spare STC1000 I have floating around.

Sounds like time you did some calibrating...

Boiling water
ice water

It's getting too late now, will give it another crack on the weekend if I am in any state to do so. My neighbour has a glass rod thermo that I will borrow.

Your post just gave me an idea to cross reference the digital thermo against my fridge thermo, and wouldnt you know it, it's fine, so the HLT analogue stat is out (not that I ever rely on it, but usually its not out by over 10 though)

So Im a bit more annoyed at myself now that I realise I could have done that quick test two hours ago, and would have been chucking in my 60min additions right now.

Ah well.

Latest posts

Back