'the Better Sediment Filter'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
As I love to play and invent...I would like to share my knewly made sediment filter - Forget the white plastic type, make this one!!

What you will need:
15mm ID x 40mm food grade clear tube
15mm OD x 20mm food grade hose(blue tube in pic)
Stainless Steel wool

Tightly scrunch the steel wool and put inside the blue tube...don't scrunch too tight otherwise it will restrict the flow too much. Fit the clear tube inside the tap then it's a matter of screwing the tap into the fermentor...it will take a little working(and probably some cursing too) to get the clear tube through as it should be a nice tight fit. Once the tap is screwed on the you just fit the blue tube/steel wool inside the clear tube. For cleaning you just take out the blue tube/steel wool, throw away and make a new piece to fit inside the clear tube and tap fitting.

Once I fit this to my second fermentor I will take a pic of it fitted. I already have the filter fitted in my first fermentor and there is beer brewing in that.

Sediment_Filter_640x240.JPG

That's a good idea! Have you actually used it yet? How much sediment does it cut down?

With my first brew, I really noticed the sediment in the bottles drawn closer to the bottom of the fermenter. The beer itself had a thicker, fruitier taste with more sediment and the lighter bottles tasted better.

My second I bulk primed and the bottled beer was a lot more homogenous but here's hoping it's ALL good this time!

That's a good idea! Have you actually used it yet? How much sediment does it cut down?

With my first brew, I really noticed the sediment in the bottles drawn closer to the bottom of the fermenter. The beer itself had a thicker, fruitier taste with more sediment and the lighter bottles tasted better.

My second I bulk primed and the bottled beer was a lot more homogenous but here's hoping it's ALL good this time!

I haven't actually used this exact configuration before, however I have used the steel wool in the same fashion when I racked my last brew from primary => secondary and it worked very well. I have very little, if not any sediment in my bottles. Mind you, racking to secondary also makes a difference.

Here it is fitted...

Sediment_Filter__1__480x640.JPG

Sediment_Filter__2__480x640.JPG

Back