That Versatile Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Thought i'd put this in a new thread so as to not pollute the ercipe DB thread.

I just had an epiphany, I had left a mouthful of my coopers clone in a glass last night (made as per Andrews version on the recipe DB and with recultured coopers yeast), and I had a sniff this morning, the malt flavours are extremely similar to that of some bitters, like Youngs for example, it was a signature smell that I have been trying to get into my beers for a while with no luck from English yeasts, not sure why really, but it's a pain. Anywho, my coopers has also flocced out to a brilliant straw colour and left me with almost pilsener like malt flavours (doing a triple step decoction might have helped here) but what I'm getting at is that i think I'm going to brew a bitter or esb with the coopers yeast and give it some hop character, see what happens, something tells me I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

Thoughts?

Well, the Coopers ale strain did come from England... It definitely is a lovely yeast. :D

I am seriously hankering for the Youngs ester profile, and have had next to no luck with the 1318. I am keen to hear your thoughts with the UK hops included. There is a balance to the pale/crystal/other malts that I just love, but have no idea how to replicate (dry mash + crystal? corn?).

Done bitters and even milds with this yeast (as well as the usual suspects, ie Coopers clones).

Works very well.

One thing though: mash high. This is a real malt muncher.

well i'll tell you what, i'll do a batch of something like otter, crystal, some munich, touch of choc and bitter with challenger, flavour with target and maybe styrians for aroma/flavour too, and ferment low (17 is) with the coopers yeast, cause the smell i got from this beer was very similar or there was something that linked right up, dunno what it was really.

I made something along the bitter lines with this yeast (actually the White Labs version) and thought it worked very well as a bitter yeast. I'd say go with it. Also makes a good porter. :icon_cheers:

I think Geoffi's spot on. It certainly is a pretty high attenuator.

I use coopers for a lot of English styles. My standard English Pale is made with Coopers.

A few weeks ago I bottled up a barley wine made with coopers. Lovely.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back