Thanks Beersmith 2.0 ... But Now What?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArnieW

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Beamish Stout clone (BYO) tomorrow and received the grains a few days ago. I built the recipe on BeerSmith 1.4 and didn't notice a problem till I upgraded.

Thanks to the nice visual style indicators in 2.0 I noticed that the recipe colour was strangely high, even for a stout. So I went looking for the reason and found I ordered 330g of black patent malt rather than 45g!

All the grains are crushed in a bag. Short of going through and sifting the black malt by hand, anyone got any ideas to fix it? Will a higher mash temp and few IBUs less compensate or do I really need to get rid of the extras?

If I do need to sift, how do I tell black patent apart from roasted barley?

Dont stress. If you post up the recipe people may be able to help more. black lends an "ashiness" to the flavour. I'd suck it and see.

Cheers

I did brew this the other day. I attempted to sift out some of the black patent malt and might have possibly halved it. Into the fermenter it tastes fairly burnt/acrid with little residual sweetness. I'll check it out as it ferments but I'm thinking of adding a little lactose to 'soften' the malt a little.

You could try to "imperialise" it with extract and/or sugar to try to match the roast level to fermentables. You could also add some crystal to the mix. Beamish it will probably never be, but a good beer it may.

Give it a few months of cold storage and I'm sure it will be great. ^_^

You could try to "imperialise" it with extract and/or sugar to try to match the roast level to fermentables. You could also add some crystal to the mix. Beamish it will probably never be, but a good beer it may.
I was intending to brew a 'session' stout so crystal is a good idea to sweeten it a bit. That way it should stay dry as well.

I was intending to brew a 'session' stout so crystal is a good idea to sweeten it a bit. That way it should stay dry as well.
A follow up on the stout ...

Once it had fermented and was lightly carbed, it tasted fine - no need to add anything to compensate for the extra black patent malt.

Back