Testing Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicide

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As my friends slowly gave up on homebrewing I have inherited their equipment. To the order of five plastic fermenters.

Does anyone know a good way to test to see if these are still airtight other than running a brew in them. I can test for leakage ok but other than expending large amount of lungpower to put air through them I'm at a bit of a loss.

Cynicide said:
Hello everyone,

As my friends slowly gave up on homebrewing I have inherited their equipment. To the order of five plastic fermenters.

Does anyone know a good way to test to see if these are still airtight other than running a brew in them. I can test for leakage ok but other than expending large amount of lungpower to put air through them I'm at a bit of a loss.
[post="116594"][/post]​

Put about a litre of hot water into the barrel, screw the lid on tight, pick it up & put you thumb over the airlock hole. Then shake the CR@p out of it!

Moving your thumb should release the pressure it it's airtight & spray some water at you :)

Why? Being airtight is not important, holding liquid, now that's important.

Screwtop said:
[post="116597"][/post]​

True, I have done brews where the fermenter wasn't air tight and I had no air lock activity. However I did worry for an entire week that my brew was going to get infected. I guess I just like to be sure.

Cynicide said:
Screwtop said:
[post="116597"][/post]​

True, I have done brews where the fermenter wasn't air tight and I had no air lock activity. However I did worry for an entire week that my brew was going to get infected. I guess I just like to be sure.
[post="116601"][/post]​

Welcome Cynicide,

The fermenters will be fine - all you need is to keep the creepy crawlies out - a gently screwed on lid is all that's required. Don't stress over airlocks going "gloop, gloop" - mine haven't in ages...

cheers Ross...

Something important to be aware of, is the state of the vessel.

I just hope they're all clean and have no scratches etc. which harbour beasties/bugs/microbes/germs/filth.

I'd check the history with the previous owners to determine if this is a potential issue, i.e. a run of failed batches...

My 2 cents
Seth :p

That and the habit of some failed HB'ers to store non edible stuff in it, ie petrol.

I know this bloke and...

Back