Temperamental disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdavros

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my disconnects intermittently leaking when connected to my posts. It seems to be a pretty common problem but I've tried everything I can think of to fix them. Basically they're leaking between the disconnect collar and the disconnect body. Having the disconnect oriented in different directions makes a big difference eg, facing the line away from the centre of the keg seems to be a lot worse.

I've tried:
Three pairs of disconnects
Many posts (one pair seemed to be a bit better than the others)
New post o-rings
Completely new posts
A lot of lube on the post o-rings

Out of these adding thick coating of lube seemed to make the most difference but they still leak intermittently.

The disconnects I'm using are from kegking and I've heard that some of their gear can be suspect. Are disconnects from different vendors all pretty much the same?

Anyone got any further ideas?

I've noticed issues between QD brands. I had one of the cheapies get stuck half on and I had to break it apart to get it off. The next post went straight on. Also had issues with the QD pin refusing to sit straight.

Posts I've gotten from craftbrewer don't have these issues.

I noticed mine were leaking, was fine when the fridge was open.. but with the door closed the way the beer/gas line folded put pressure on the post which made it want to sit on a slight angle (and it would then leak). Rebuilding the posts with lube in the channel and new o-rings fixed my problem 99%. Can still get the posts to leak with lateral pressure but takes a lot more effort.

So you've done most of the things that i did to fix it already.. maybe just check how your beer lines lay when you shut the fridge door?
Al

cdavros said:
I'm having problems with my disconnects intermittently leaking when connected to my posts. It seems to be a pretty common problem but I've tried everything I can think of to fix them. Basically they're leaking between the disconnect collar and the disconnect body. Having the disconnect oriented in different directions makes a big difference eg, facing the line away from the centre of the keg seems to be a lot worse.

I've tried:
Three pairs of disconnects
Many posts (one pair seemed to be a bit better than the others)
New post o-rings
Completely new posts
A lot of lube on the post o-rings

Out of these adding thick coating of lube seemed to make the most difference but they still leak intermittently.

The disconnects I'm using are from kegking and I've heard that some of their gear can be suspect. Are disconnects from different vendors all pretty much the same?

Anyone got any further ideas?
Piss em off & get some real ones.
I had similar problems in the past & never a problem since using the genuine Cornelius disconnects.

Don't think I would be buying from him after the way he has carried on lately, that's just my opinion though.

Either genuine Cornelius or the CMB are also great. I have 2 separate systems which are hooked up to CO2 24x7, and both use CMB. There was a seller on ebay with some CMB posted really cheap. Otherwise the Cornelius are cheap if you get them directly from the US.

Here's some Corny ones with decent price posting
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-PAIR-CORNELIUS-KEG-DISCONNECTS-BREW-BEER-KEG-/111194837132?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item19e3ba908c

Truman found some CMB for <$10 posted

I have found that I need cheaper ones to work properly on keg King kegs and I like to use my fancy full price corny-brand (or CMB as QldKev points out) QDs on my proper Corny kegs. It annoys me and cracks me up in equal measures, but that's my story. Most of my cheap KK QDs leaked to begin with, but pulled apart and put back together and then attached to the KK kegs they are fine.

I have a theory that the reason the Keg King disconnects leak is they are made oversize to fit the posts of their chinese kegs that are also over sized.

It's not much, but I have had trouble in the past trying to get non KK disconnects onto KK kegs.

pcmfisher said:
I have a theory that the reason the Keg King disconnects leak is they are made oversize to fit the posts of their chinese kegs that are also over sized.

It's not much, but I have had trouble in the past trying to get non KK disconnects onto KK kegs.
I agree, My KK QDs fit my 9 litre KK keg no problems and have never leaked. But it was when I brought some KK ball lock posts that I started having problems. So I think its just general Chinese tolerances. The QDs are too big but their new ball lock posts are too small.

Thanks for the help everyone, I've put in an order for a pair of genuine disconnects. If that solves it I'll replace the rest and return the KK ones. Can't believe how much of a hassle this has been.

Latest posts

Back