Temp Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because of the cazy weather I've decided on a chest freezer to put my fv's into. I read about a simple Johnson A419 regulator and was wondering if there was a equally simple unit available in Aus.

Cheers

Most people get an STC-1000 from eBay. If you aren't comfortable working on 240V wiring you can buy them fully mounted, there are also some other versions like Inkbird who are on here fairly regularly.
If you are shopping on eBay, make sure you specify the voltage and have a look at the contact ratings, 220/240V and at least 10 Amp Contacts.
Mark

i love chest freezers for kegging as they are efficient and with a top opening all the cold air doesn’t escape. Also the area above the compressor compartment whilst being to shallow for kegs is useful for placing some bottles/soda water/wine in. I have one as my primary drinks fridge and have another sitting on the trailer atm for a bloke i work with just waiting to whack a stc1000 on it. but i find them awkward for FVs (lifting in and out and near imposable to take samples, ) and the efficiency gains are far less as fermenting temps are nowhere near what you would run them at as a fridge.

Can i ask why you don’t consider an upright for your Fermenter? i use an upside down fridge freezer as a fermenter and the fridge shelf height is perfect for attending the FV.

I have recently moved from a cabinet across to a fridge for fermenting and should have done it from the beginning, the cabinet was fine for winter months but just don’t cut the mustard in summer. i even tried to vent cool air from a bar fridge and insulate it but it wasnt terribly effective. i use the cabinet now for storing kegs.

EDIT: just had a look at the Johnson A419 regulator and it dosnt look real suitable
to me, looks to only have a cooling output so wont control a heating element as well which is required in a fermenting chamber, the inkbird as MHB mentioned and also the stc -1000 both have this ability.

Last edited:
Thanks MHB and koshari

It's probably safer for me to go with a 'plug and play' model. Found one at G&G.

I'll also look at the upright fridge option - makes a lot of sense.

Back