Temp controlled freezer couldnt cope...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodgett

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just getting stocks ready for xmas, brewed my IPA Wednesday set it at 18 degrees with us05 in my temp controlled freezer. Going great. Yesterday we had a really hot, mid 30 degree day came home yesterday arvo and its sitting on 25. panic stations started and I grabbed some frozwn water bottles and put them in. Temp this morning is back down to 18. Freezer it turning back on when it needs to.
I know fluctuations and high temps are terrible. I however dont want to rush to dumping it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

How is the freezer temp controlled? STC-1000? A freezer shouldn't have any issues staying at 18c.

zeggie said:
How is the freezer temp controlled? STC-1000? A freezer shouldn't have any issues staying at 18c.
Heya. Its a chinese plug in temp control

Try adding some cubs/bottles full of water to get some themal mass in there. Freezers dont like to be empty. They work better when full

Did you set a delay for the compressor. Otherwise it can flick on and off rapidly around the set temp. Better to add a ten minute delay.

If it's the same "Chinese" temp controller I've seen, there's no set points for delay or tolerance, just temp.

Put the probe in a bottle of water, this will help stop it cutting in and out rapidly as the water will stop the quick temp changes on the temp probe

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback :)
djar007 said:
Did you set a delay for the compressor. Otherwise it can flick on and off rapidly around the set temp. Better to add a ten minute delay.
thanks for the idea
sorry was this on the freezer itself?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Put the probe in a bottle of water, this will help stop it cutting in and out rapidly as the water will stop the quick temp changes on the temp probe
will this differ from the fermenting wort though?

also whats the general consensus on this batch? It has got about a 120g of blended citra and simcoe in 10 and 0 min additions as well as a 60 min bittering add. so maybe that might mask some things?

thanks everyone

I'd be checking there isnt an issue with the temp controller, before investigating the freezer. Test it with some hot and cold water.

moodgett said:
will this differ from the fermenting wort though?
Yes. But only a few *c, as fermentation produces heat.

You could put the probe in the wort, but less chance of infection if you just have it in a bottle of water.

Depends really on what you want to do.

Hey all,

I have a another digital thermometer. Have these both attached to the side of fermenter, insulated with stubby holder material and taped down. They both read the same :)

Back