Temp (again)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've put down another Mexican Creveza and realised how cold my house is when my fermenter temps dropped to 14 degrees c on the first night. I've just bought a heat mat/pad and have been trying to regulate the temp with that but the temps have been variying (is that a word??) between 18-22 degrees c.
Is this going to affect the taste of the beer much?

Hi All,
I've put down another Mexican Creveza and realised how cold my house is when my fermenter temps dropped to 14 degrees c on the first night. I've just bought a heat mat/pad and have been trying to regulate the temp with that but the temps have been variying (is that a word??) between 18-22 degrees c.

I'm not sure what kind of difference those temperature variations will make to your beer but I've just started following Bugwan's advice is this thread (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=210194)

and it's working out very well for me. :beer: At the moment I've set it to 18C and it sticks to it perfectly.

Cooper's Mex kit actually comes with a mixed yeast strain. It's part ale and part lager. I read this on Geoff and Olivers Home Brew site and it was confirmed when I pitched the yeast and saw two different shape profiles amongst the dried yeasties. So 14C would have been an okay temp to brew at as the ale yeast would have been less active and the lager part would have kicked in. I did one of these kits recently and kept it at 12-14C for about 12 to 13 days and it had no problem fermenting out at all. I guess brewing at a higher temps will just allow the ale to do a bit more of the work although the lager yeast will clean up any sugars left behind because they generally attenuate more than ale strains.

Hi All,

Have you put something around the fermenter as insulation - an old woolen jumper for instance ? This can reduce flucuations. VARYING is a nice word, vari-ying sounds a bit Asiatic to me.

Cooper's Mex kit actually comes with a mixed yeast strain. It's part ale and part lager. I read this on Geoff and Olivers Home Brew site and it was confirmed when I pitched the yeast and saw two different shape profiles amongst the dried yeasties. So 14C would have been an okay temp to brew at as the ale yeast would have been less active and the lager part would have kicked in. I did one of these kits recently and kept it at 12-14C for about 12 to 13 days and it had no problem fermenting out at all. I guess brewing at a higher temps will just allow the ale to do a bit more of the work although the lager yeast will clean up any sugars left behind because they generally attenuate more than ale strains.

I forgot to mention that I used Safale-04

No I haven't put anything around it yet but will do so today.

I forgot to mention that I used Safale-04

No I haven't put anything around it yet but will do so today.

Ahh okay, disregard my coments. I just assumed you were using the kit yeast. Maybe you can save it for a cheat's Altbier.

Back