Tea Bag Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill D

Reaction score
Hi Again - when I did my Blue Mountains brew I put in a Cascade Hops Tea Bag - steeped for 10 minutes in a cup of boiling water before hand - added everything after I had pitched the yeast and given a good agitate. Hops bag left in for the duration of the ferment.

The brew was 1 x Morgans Blue Mountains Kit, 1 x can Coopers Pale Malt Extract, Yeast Under the lid and the Cascade.

On bottling of the brew - I had a taste to check things out. All seems to taste OK, nice balance with some good hop bitterness but I was dissapointed that I didnt get that nice florally aroma (which I thought I would get from the Cascade).

Will the flavour come out later as the beer matures or is the tea bag a dud? or am i expecting too much?

Thanks in Advance for you opinions...

2beers

As a rule of thumb hops aroma and flavour dissipate with age in the bottle. One hop tea bag is pretty much nothing to a lot of brewers who like hoppy beers. Try buying hop pellets from the sponsors here and start adding a lot more for a fraction of the price.

As a rule of thumb hops aroma and flavour dissipate with age in the bottle. One hop tea bag is pretty much nothing to a lot of brewers who like hoppy beers. Try buying hop pellets from the sponsors here and start adding a lot more for a fraction of the price.

Ok thanks for that.
2beers

I buy hop pellets and it works out way cheaper than tea bags. I put them in cut up stockings (that have been boiled to remove excess dyes).
Though plenty of people here just put them straight into the fermenter and they do settle. I just prefer using the stockings. :)
Doing it either way lets you decide how much or how little hops to use. So experiment and see what suits you best.
:chug:

Cascade is a lower alpha acid hop around 5% and a tea bag is about 12g. A 10 minute boil in say 5 litres of water and 500g malt would have been a better option. Or say 12g for 10min and 12g at flame out. You do how ever need to play with hopping a bit as we all have different tastes.

I like a coopers draught with a 10 min boil of 25g hallertau or 15g Cluster but most would find this to hoppy.

So the best is to add a little and work up to find what you like. You will soon become a hop junkie to..

My 2 cents

Richard

Edit Put your hops straight in and into the fermenter. I don't use a bag.

Back