Tattoos - Who's Got 'em

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
With such a wide range of guys & girls out there ini the brewing community, I wonder if there are any pigment enthusiasts among us. Whilst the artform has seen a resurgence in recent years, I'm sure there are plenty of people that are probably getting themselved 'scarred for life' a little too young, or because it's the fashionable thing, or because their favourte pop star has a little scratch of ink, and they want to follow suit.

I'm noticing a lot these days that many people are getting their little token tattoo, and to look at them or even speak with them, they just don't seem to 'be the type' and I wonder how many are going to regret their decision in years to come. Personally I reckon that the laser removal industry is going to be an industry to back as a high earning industry in the next 10 years or less.

Thoughts?

I am yet to get mine done, but have had a few sketched up for a while....

The main one I want is my daughters hand on my left pec, just need to finalise the design now..

The wife is the body mod one in our family, multiple piercings and plans for her first scarification are being finalised for it to be done next week.

I was only talking about this with my wife last night. We thought there is basicly 3 types of tattoed people. Those that got a tattoo because they like the idea of having one but hide it. Those that got a little tattoo that is hidden because thats cool. And those that get artwork placed on their skin and totally want everyone to see it.
As I work in the apprentice training side of things i am constantly working with young people and the amount of full sleeves and art coming through is astounding and the money that is spent would amaze you. One good thing is that the guys with the tats look after their skin and are regularly applying sunscreen.
doesnt matter what type of the tattooed you are they all go funny with age but does it matter. When ever i see an old guy with a green tat on his forearm I think how it must have been looked upon back in the 50/60s. But really who cares.

Tuff Stickers for all :p

Had this one done in May of last year....its Scottish Gaelic

Across the top its "My love my life my wife"
Across the bottom is "Robin Elizabeth Fraser"

The lion is the rampant lion from one of the scottish flags.

John

Tatt.jpg

IMG_0102.JPG

This is mine, got it when I was about 19-20, still in great condition, about 3 hours work.. Never regret it.. Mind the few hairs on my back, my beautician is on leave.. :unsure:

Have a pint of Guinness on ankle since I was 17 (now 30). Only small, but it's comforting to know I'm never without a pint. :)
Don't see me getting any more though.

Would like to attach a photo but I never realised how hard it is to take a detail photo of your outer ankle before. After twisting myself into all sorts of shapes trying to get the camera to focus, I have now given up. Looks like it could do with a touch up anyway.

iv got 6 tattoos on my right upper and and right lower leg but they all sort of join together so it looks like there is only 2

the $900 stimulus money at this stage will be going towards me finishing my right sleeve

Leg Calf Sleeve
Full Back job
Under left Bicep..

Would be covered if I had the coin - both sleeves etc..

I love all my tatts and as I said would have many more if I had the coin... BTW 32, first at 19 - still means a lot!

If you get a tat for the right reason then you will never regret it... It only grows with you!

You Jase, you have any?

My brother is a tattooist, but I reckon 99% of tatts look like shit. Smudgy blurry crap, and the chicks with "tramp stamps" don't look good at all IMO.
Means a lot when you're young but don't know too many sailors who think the blurry crap on their arms looks cool 40 years later.

I am yet to get mine done, but have had a few sketched up for a while....

The main one I want is my daughters hand on my left pec, just need to finalise the design now..

The wife is the body mod one in our family, multiple piercings and plans for her first scarification are being finalised for it to be done next week.
Your wife is doing a scarification ? That's pretty hardcore, please post the pics. Personally, I've never seen a great one, but I like the idea of it. As for your fantasy dream of getting yourself a tatt, I have to say, didn't pick you to be the type. Of course, trends are trends and Kat Von D is inspiring to some......

I was only talking about this with my wife last night. We thought there is basicly 3 types of tattoed people. Those that got a tattoo because they like the idea of having one but hide it. Those that got a little tattoo that is hidden because thats cool. And those that get artwork placed on their skin and totally want everyone to see it.
Cool that you speak about it, but you can't cast a definitive reasoning behind people's motives in a mere three points. Unless you're a cleanskin LOL.

As I work in the apprentice training side of things i am constantly working with young people and the amount of full sleeves and art coming through is astounding and the money that is spent would amaze you.
Nope, wouldn't amaze me. In fact, from a social perspective, it's better that these young guys spend their money on body enhancement instead of heroin. :D But to refer back to my first post, I wonder if these dudes with full sleeves or even neck work (ugh) think about their future. Let's be honest, when we were 18, 19 or 20, did we really envisage how our lives would be as time goes on ? Personally I think there's some great full-sleeve stiuff on the skins of today's youth, but I reckon it's going to bite them in the arse a few years down the track, unless they are in an industry that is OK with it.
doesnt matter what type of the tattooed you are they all go funny with age but does it matter. When ever i see an old guy with a green tat on his forearm I think how it must have been looked upon back in the 50/60s. But really who cares.
You must realise that the old school tattoo's of the '50's & '60's (let's call them navy blues) were done with very bad techniques, and also very bad inks that contained nasty metals which oxidised under the skin, hence creating the 'blue blobs' that we see on old guy's arms. Those days are long gone.

Tuff Stickers for all :p
Hmmm, that's a bit judgemental. Maybe that should have been your "type #4" in your opening dialogue.

Leg Calf Sleeve
Full Back job
Under left Bicep..
Full back job, cocko? Mucho respect. Any chance of a viewing?... PM me with a link if you don't want to share publicly.

You Jase, you have any?
Ayup. For my third, and most recent, (couple of weeks ago) I spent 20 hours under the pump over a three day consecutive period. And I'll take my hero hat off and say that I would never cram it into this time-frame again. After 7 hours on the first day, the endorphins were well clapped out, and therefore the next day I started with depleted reserves as far as the body's natural painkillers are concerned, and it became very frigging challenging from hour 4. However, dedicated hard-******* that I am, I turned up on day three, when the endorphins were pretty much juiced after the first hour, but we soldiered on, with a grand finale gunning at my ankle-bone protrusion. The beers we went for after the session finished must have been the sweetest nectar I've ever tasted :lol:

No half-measures for this boy :p

That said, the Ruddy bonus is going into an art piggyback for another session of about 40 hours. My preferred artist for the next one has an 8-month waiting list, so I'l be living lean for a while in order to save the pennies. Oh, I know, I shall brew my own beer ! That'll be a good fiscal decision.

Fraser J, your work is awesome, specifically the centrepiece.

And cleanbrewer, so that would make yours over 10 years old ? You were lucky to get a good portrait artist, so many in Australia really suck. The linework has stood the test of time, and you should be rightly proud. Who was the artist ?

My brother is a tattooist, but I reckon 99% of tatts look like shit. Smudgy blurry crap, and the chicks with "tramp stamps" don't look good at all IMO.
Means a lot when you're young but don't know too many sailors who think the blurry crap on their arms looks cool 40 years later.

Does your brother work at 'Warpaint' ? They are legendary for smudgy, blurry crap. :lol:

I have a 2 headed demon on my back, couple on one arm. Now m just waiting for a friend of mine to draw me up some pics so I can get a sleeve done. For me, I don't care if anyone sees them, nor do I care what people think of them, I got them, and will get more, for ME. Alot of people like to judge others by the way they look, that's life though hey :icon_cheers:

No tattoos and I'm not sure if I'll ever get "it". I have a design in mind for a big back tattoo but I'm leery about inking over all my moles. I spent a hell of a lot of time in the sun when I was younger and if/when one of them goes rogue I want to be able to see it.

What I have in mind - I want it to scare kids. I want a tattoo of Anubis (the Egyptian jackal-headed god) clawing his way out of my back with all the associated gore - blood, torn meat, broken ribs. Of course, Anubis has to be snarling like a rabid dog. Kind of like the Meliah Rage album cover, Solitary Solitude.

Maybe one day (or spread over several days). ;)

Your wife is doing a scarification ? That's pretty hardcore, please post the pics. Personally, I've never seen a great one, but I like the idea of it. As for your fantasy dream of getting yourself a tatt, I have to say, didn't pick you to be the type. Of course, trends are trends and Kat Von D is inspiring to some......

On the same weekend I did my first AG, she went for her first suicide suspension....

And I've wanted a fair few tats for a while, some ideas come and go, others stick. Main reason we are currently both un-inked in the large shortage of coin around here while my wife took a few years off work when our daughter was born...

Now that we are both working fulltime and she is outearning me most fortnights, it's game on.....If we can find the time where we are both home so one of us can go get work done without the little one having to tag along.

Nature did its best to bypass me in the good looking queue.
I don't need tats to make the result even worse.

no tatts here. have thought about it but i change my mind too much and am sure i'd look at it one day/week/month/year later and not like it. but i never say never. the day might come when something happens in my life and i want it signified in paint on me bod (1st child last year didn't but something might?)

i do like tatts on other people though. well some tatts.

have my tragus stretched out with a tunnel in it. looks like i have a hole in my head (which i guess i do!)

slainte

christmasbender

That's nothing schooey, check out the dudes that get hooked/roped by their...

None here. Have thought about it often but there's always other things to spend my money on. Two of my three brothers have done our family crest on their upper arm and if the third does his I don't reckon I'll have much choice.

As for the other stuff, I just had my thumbnail removed at the Dr's, and even with anaesthetic that was enough body modification for me.

Cheers,

microbe

I'd like to think I'm a pretty open minded dude...

but **** that shit...

Crazy woman wants to go do it again...

Oh well, some people brew beer, others like to hang from giant hooks..........

Latest posts

Back