Taswonica

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Thinking about heading to Tasmania in May/April next year. Gonna go across in the boat.

Anyone have any ideas on anything beer related I need to see? Or even non beer related? My missus has a few touristy things lined up, but all I can think of is driving around the old Longford motor racing circuit (and getting on it at the Longford Pub), Mona Gallery and looking at Shipstern's Bluff.

Any Ideas?

The Boag's Brewery tour is totally shit, don't waste your money.

Launceston as a city though is very lovely.

If you can bring your plans forward a little, this is well worth a look.
http://www.hobartsummerfestival.com.au/
We've been a couple of times and sitting on the wharf, watching the Sydney to Hobart fleet roll in with a beer in hand whilst stuffing your face is hard to beat.
There's a few micro's like Two meter tall you can visit, but most local guys will be flogging their wares at the festival anyway.

The Cascade tour is - meh - but the gardens are a nice place to enjoy a drink.

Go to the Freycinet Peninsula and hire some kayaks.

Go to Cradle Mt, stay in a cottage and walk (climb..) to the top.

See the Franklin River, and do a bush walk.

Tassie is awesome.

Iron House Brewery up the East Coast is a great one to see. Can stay at White Sands Resort for the night too

The Two Meter Tall Company in the Derwent Valley while up that way you could head out through Bushy Park to check out the hop fields.

Seven Sheds at Railton

Moorilla Estate home of Moo Brew and Mona Museum. A must and could spend a full day here.

Van Dieman Brewing at Evandale. I haven't been to this one.

Lark Distillery near the wharf in Hobart and worth a visit.

If you happen to venture up the North West then Lactos Cheese Factory just out of Burnie is good to visit.

Taverners Brewery near Launceston somewhere. I have never been here so don't know what it's like.

Non beer (I only got to 7 sheds and cascade) but things i recommend
Strahan herritage (gordon river) boat tour inc sarah island
Tasman island Eco tour around the south is interesting.

Iron House Brewery up the East Coast is a great one to see. Can stay at White Sands Resort for the night too

The Two Meter Tall Company in the Derwent Valley while up that way you could head out through Bushy Park to check out the hop fields.

Seven Sheds at Railton

Moorilla Estate home of Moo Brew and Mona Museum. A must and could spend a full day here.

Van Dieman Brewing at Evandale. I haven't been to this one.

Lark Distillery near the wharf in Hobart and worth a visit.

If you happen to venture up the North West then Lactos Cheese Factory just out of Burnie is good to visit.

Taverners Brewery near Launceston somewhere. I have never been here so don't know what it's like.

This is awesome. Thanks mate!

On anothe rforum, someone suggested we should hire kayaks and paddle around (the general vicinity of) the Freycinet Penisnsula.

Wouldn't mind chucking a line in here or there, anyone got any general fishing tips in tassie? Do I need a licence? I mostly spin with soft plastics but I'm open to other forms of fishing.

Does anyone know the best cheapo places to stay, (don't mind a tent) and where do the good bands (not cover bands) play around the main towns (Hobart, Launceston etc)

Cheers..

Strahan herritage (gordon river) boat tour inc sarah island

Go for this one. Probably one of the best days of my life.
Unbelievable scenery, superb actor/guide doing the Sarah Island tour. Watched the Bluescope Steel Youth Orchestra give an outdoor performance that evening in pretty nippy conditions then a great meal at a Hotel wot I can't remember then back to our camper van.
We chose to bring our own food on the Gordon River cruise so while most of the punters had cold cuts we had a selection of cheeses, salamis, meats etc and a good bottle of red - and it cost a bit less. :)

Back