Tasty stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
I want to do a Stout/dark ale for my next brew and wanted some opinions on the recipie ive peiced together. I enjoy dark English beers, Guinness and coops best extra.

Recipie;

1x can coopers stout
1x can amber malt ext
500g brewers sugar
15g fuggles @ 15 min
20L batch

I am debating whether to add some oats for an oatmeal stout but how, how much and when?

Should I also steep some grain, im on a SUPER TIGHT budget a.t.m unfortunately so less is best.

That looks alright mate if you're doing it on the cheap. I'd probably use some dark dry malt instead of the sugar, should only be a few bucks more.

Havent tried the coopers cans but I like the Irish dry stout cans.
If you can either stick with the amber lme or swap for dark lme and add 500g dme.
Wyeast Irish ale1084 is pretty good for stouts.

With he spec grains I like to add choc grain (around 200g)

sticksy said:
What other cans are good as far as stouts go?
Muntons Irish Stout,
Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout.

I used one before called Dublin Dry Stout which was good. Not sure who it was by though.

I read somewhere once that the only place for sugar is in your cup of tea. As Partial Man said. Lose the sugar and use a bit more malt. Good advice.

i've got a batch in the FV now that has 250g of quick oats (these are rolled oats that have been chopped up finely). I roasted them in the oven at around 180 until they smelt good and toasty. then steeped them as you would a specialty grain.

I have read that too much oats can be a head killer. However i'm only stating what i have read. some people have used 500g in a batch and haven;t noticed any detriment to their head retention.

Also, again only read this, no actual experience... beers like this do require a bit longer in the bottle to reach full potential. some suggest more than 3 months, some people suggest more. So be prepared to sit on them until winter.

Dark English beers would be sweeter wouldn't they? Maybe think about steeping 100 grams of dark crystal malt. That won't make it overly sweet but should add some flavour.

Back