Taking on the big guns- Thunder Road vs CUB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikedub said:
Thunder Road are looking for an assistant brewer, I like their honesty, though not sure about "anything and everything our head brewer requires" well.....
Well, he is called the "head" brewer for a reason...

Nick JD said:
I had a can of Brisbane Bitter after drinking one of my Saisons. It was worse than VB.

These old Aussie beers need to be buried. Deeply.
You had a beer once that wasn't nice so historically all beer from that country must also be dreadful?

I like how easy decision making can be.

I had a saison at a case swap and it was worse than Brisbane Bitter.

Actually BB was a bit manky even then, it was brewed for the swinging dudes and chix set that was arising in the 70s in Brisbane, where Bulimba and even XXXX were becoming considered to be old blokey, so BB didn't really have a lot of flavour and character, pleasant drink however and heads and shoulders above current dudes and chix beer like TED.

The Bulimba was a really good interpretation of the straw-coloured and quite bitter draught version of the 70s which I used to drink gallons of at the Granville Hotel Maryborough and the Torquay Hotel Hervey Bay (blue pubs).

CUB occasionally do a release of Tooths KB in the gold can, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a slab.

Your assessment of history (and market forces) is incredible. Everything old dies out because it's shit and is only ever superseded by improved products.

manticle said:
Your assessment of history (and market forces) is incredible. Everything old dies out because it's shit and is only ever superseded by improved products.
Name me another great beer that is now gone.

Two excellent drops killed by Kirin: Carbine Stout, XXXX Draught red label. Both way above the quality of all those modern crisp dry shyte beers.

wombil said:
Hey Bribie,
I have drank Bulimba beer at the old Bulimba Brewery.
[SIZE=medium]As I did Womil! Drank there every week day when working at the old Evens Deakin shipyards. The free beer o’clock at the brewery kept the ranks thin at the Valley police station too IIRC.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Brisbane Bitter was “The Taste That You Can Stay With” in those days Bribie.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]+1 for the Carbine Stout & the Red Label.[/SIZE]

@Nick:

There are examples of historical styles and brands all over the world that have been ressurrected precisely because people thought they were wonderful. I'm not familiar enough with AU brewing history nor personally experienced with pre-cub beers (and I doubt you are either) but I don't need to be to suggest that your assessment of beers you've never tried and the way capitalism actually works are baseless and flawed.

Unless you are recreating the authentic recipe from historical documents (which is not the case here) why again do you want these brands?? Can't think of anything new to do yourself?? :huh:

It's sad that UK historical brews are well documented and frequently published - the hero being the Shut up About Barclay Perkins site by Ronald Pattinson, whilst virtually nothing is known or revealed about Australian historical brews. I don't even think it's known what hops were used before POR, and that's only in the 1950s.

I know that some of our senior members - for example AndrewQLD have done a few brews from the UK site and come up with great results, I'll have to get cracking myself over winter when I can get round to buying a candy thermometer for my inverts. ;)

manticle said:
@Nick:

There are examples of historical styles and brands all over the world that have been ressurrected precisely because people thought they were wonderful. I'm not familiar enough with AU brewing history nor personally experienced with pre-cub beers (and I doubt you are either) but I don't need to be to suggest that your assessment of beers you've never tried and the way capitalism actually works are baseless and flawed.
I haven't read your whole post as I'm busy learning to hula hoop.

Wait. Did I say hula hoop?

I meant Halo 4.

It's not 1960.

Tell the gypsies at burleigh heads that.

Mmmmm gypsies.

Bribie G said:
... virtually nothing is known or revealed about Australian historical brews. I don't even think it's known what hops were used before POR, and that's only in the 1950s.
[SIZE=small]"The accompanying illustrations show the hop cylinders filled with Bavarian hops, kindly placed at my disposal for photographing by the Foster Brewing Co. They are made of strong galvanized iron, are 4 ft. 4 in. deep, and 2 ft. 4 in. in diameter, carrying about 2 cwt. of hops. The movable lids are fitted with air-tight packing rings, and there is generally an aperture in the centre with a tap, so that sulpliurous acid gas can be injected under pi'essure after the lid is closed. The hops are all hand-pressed, and not with hydraulic pressure, since the latter process crushes the lupulin cells and ultimately induces fermentation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]These cylinders will last for several seasons, and since the initial cost in Melbourne is only 12s. 6d., and they can be returned as empties by the brewers, a trial should certainly be given to this simple method of packing."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small](D. McAlpine, 'The Hop Industry in Victoria', in The Agricultural Journal of Victoria, Vol. II, 1903-4)[/SIZE]

Hop Industry in Victoria - air-tight hop cylinders.jpg

I never drank enough carbine stout to give it an appraisal today but calling xxxx draught a great beer is overshooting the mark. I drank tons of it while unemployed or in early apprentice years (about $18 for a carton if you returned your previous 12 longnecks around that time). I'd still call it better than xxxx in hindsight but it was far from a great beer.

The verdict is in...

(from the Brisbane Times)

Pint-sized brewer loses fight over labels

In a David-and-Goliath battle over the ownership of a portfolio of heritage Australian beer labels, Goliath has won.

The Australian Trademarks Office has rejected a bid by craft brewer Thunder Road Brewery, based in Melbourne, to seize control of 59 beer brands owned by Carlton & United Breweries.

Earlier this year Thunder Road made an audacious bid to break open heritage trademarks held by CUB to a long list of beers that carry historic names but that have been in limited release or have not been commercially brewed since before World War II.

See: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/retail/pintsized-brewer--loses-fight-over-labels-20130911-2tkdu.html

I resent them calling Thunder Road a craft brewer! It's a marketing company that also make shite beers! This was an aspiring goliath vs goliath battle or young Lion vs alpha.

Back