Taking Gravity Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantoffie

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am in the process of taking homebrewing a lot more seriously and part of this is to take gravity readings. Used to just 'go by feel' resulting in some nice beer fireworks when opening.

So I have been taking gravity readings for the last three brews that I have done. Its been working pretty well. But the "Infection" thread has got me scared about opening the fermenter... ever again.

So I now have some questions;

How often/at what intervals do you take gravity readings? (If it is worth mentioning I do a Primary fermentation then a secondary fermentation before bottling)

How do you do it without jeoprodicing the brew?

Any other useful tips or tricks for gravity readings?

Thanks!

Hi i am no expert as i just put on my first batch last Thursday but i was told to just take a sample out of the tap at the bottom of your fermenter and sit the hydrometer in the sample. You should do this at the start to get an sg and again once the airlock stops bubbling. You should have the same reading 2 days in a row (called fg) and that is when you no it is ready. This is what i have been told by the hbs and it is what i am doing. apart from the sg as i forgot about about that haha. i am also scared of the infection side of things i seam to be reading allot about it lately. Good luck.

i too just take a sample out of the tap at the bottom of my fermenter into my tube and sit the hydrometer in the sample, but I always run a bit off before collecting my sample so as not to be testing whats stale in the tap.
I usually just take a sample prior to yeast additions for my OG, I then let it ferment for a couple of weeks or so, and then I take another sample plus a follow up sample the next day, should the two correspond then fermentation is done and that will give you your FG. Also don't get too paranoid on infections, usually late into fermentation the risk of infection is not as great as earlier..... well so I been told. Good luck mate

I normally take the OG at the end of the boil and take another reading after 2-3 weeks in primary. I will then leave it another 3 days and if it is the same and also at the predicted final gravity i will keg.

Not a problem taking sample from tap at bottom. Very unlikely to get infection. I used to take samples every couple of days and never had an issue.

And.. don't tip the sample back into the fermenter. This will cause an infection. :ph34r:

from tap into tube, measure, drink, spray tap with sanitiser.

I measure when I think the beer is nearly ready. Rarely take OG nowadays but I think it's a good habit to do so when you are beginning.

I do as stated above, when I first started brewing I used to sanitise the hydrometer and leave it in the FV, now once you have the same scum that builds up on the sides of the FV on your hydrometer it is as acurate as a brick.

Take a sample, take a reading, have a taste. I usually take a sample some time after 9 days after pitch, if there is still obvious signs of activity I wait a day or two.

I used to use a hydrometer for all my readings.

These days I take a couple of drops for my refractometer pre-boil to calculate mash efficiency, a couple of drops to measure the OG prior to fermentation, and a couple of drops per-bottling just to confirm my FG.
For me, it's the easiest system, and results in no loss of wort or beer.

Cool Thanks for the info guys. Pretty much what I have been dooing... Although two of my Fermenters dont have taps so that is something I should buy so I can ensure im not infecting the brew through the top.

Thanks!

warra48 said:
I used to use a hydrometer for all my readings.

These days I take a couple of drops for my refractometer pre-boil to calculate mash efficiency, a couple of drops to measure the OG prior to fermentation, and a couple of drops per-bottling just to confirm my FG.
For me, it's the easiest system, and results in no loss of wort or beer.
The couple of drops take into account the skewed reading due to alcohol of course. Just so new players don't think their fancy, easy to use, no waste refractometer is leading them astray.

If using refrac, you need to correct for the presence of alcohol when measuring fermenting or fermented beer/wort.

Quite so, manticle.

Chart herewith for those wondering.

Refractometer_Calculations.jpg

Back