Sydney near-CBD watering holes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
It's a wee while since I've been in the big Smoke and wonder if there are any spots I should attend for quaffing purposes when I'm visiting next week.

Usual Suspects of course are Lord Nelson, 4 Pines and Murrays at Manly, German oompah spots, Red Oak and the Taphouse. Done them, anything else of interest sprung up say Surry Hills, Dhurst, Newtown etc? I'm particularly interested in anything on hand pump.

Murrays at Manly is now The Rubber Duckie, so they may have some new offerings
King St Brewhouse at the King St wharf was pretty good, some nice beers and nice food
Harts, Union @ Newtown, Royal Albert @ Surry Hills, Young Henrys, Quarryman's @ Pyrmont
I'm in Sydney in December for a wedding, we've got 2 days to waste wandering around so if anyone else has any other suggestions I'll make sure to check those out too :)

I've been to (staggered up hill to ) Harts .. I was under the impression that I'd been to Red Oak :blink:

I get that way after a few pints starting late morning

Royal Albert:

royal albert.jpg

That photo should be on Red Tube; excuse me I just need to go and change my boxers............ :unsure:

edit: trip looking promising :)

Ditto for the Royal Albert in Surrey Hills,just got back from a hol there and it was a top little pub.Great food,friendly publican and excellent beer. For your return journey,stock your bank account and pay a visit here http://www.oakbarrel.com.au/ ,an excellent selection of craft beers from around the world,knowledgeable staff too :) Shit,that page shows bugga all of the selection,they stock over 420 beers and ciders,well worth the visit,trust me.

Also Barneys in Alexandria for a top bottle shop, well on their way to stocking 1000 craft beers!

In Newtown, The Union Hotel

NewtownClown said:
Also Barneys in Alexandria for a top bottle shop, well on their way to stocking 1000 craft beers!

In Newtown, The Union Hotel
Always two hand pumps at the union.

There's a new (or rather, refurbished) pub opening up called The Riverview hotel on the Princes HWY in Tempe next Wednesday. According to their FB site, they will have 14 taps:

Tap1- The Rocks Brewery
Tap2- 4 pines brewery
Tap3- Cavalier brewery
Tap4- Mountain Goat brewery
Tap5 - Illawarra brewery
Tap6- hopdog brewery
Tap7- sydney brewing company
Tap8- murrays Brewery
Tap9- moon dog Brewery
Tap10-nail brewery
Tap11- feral brewery
Tap12- Prickly Moses Brewery
Tap 13 - Red hill Brewery
Tap14- cider - to rotate monthly from our 13 craft brewers

They will also have slow cooked gourmet Southern American BBQ. This is right up my alley.

But there's one caveat: This place is being marketed as "the ultimate man cave". The waitresses will apparently be wearing very little clothing, if any from the waist up. And there'll also be "showgirls" (whatever that means?). Now, it's not that I necessarily have a problem with that. I like looking at boobs just as much as the next heterosexual gentleman. It's just that this caliber of entertainment is not found in the sort of establishment that I would normally frequent, nor one that SWMBO would be particularly happy about me visiting. Nevertheless, given the close proximity to my home and my love of good beer, good food and boobs I shall be going there next week regardless (purely for research purposes only, of course)

Ah yeah, the Riverview .... with lots of other views ...

No one has mentioned Frankies Pizza ... what goes on at Frankies ... stays at Frankies ...

Anyone got any suggestions for the north side of the harbour?
We're staying at Terrey Hills, but will be wandering around Mosman area while we're there (and the rocks at some point too)

Dont go north, or, Elbue Room, Hemmingways, Rubber Duckie ...

The mate I'm staying with works in Surry Hills so I'm meeting him off the train outside his workplace and into the Royal Albert for beer o'clock.. :beerbang: :beerbang:

After eight pints, Thai just doesn't cut it.

Beef vindaloo, abuse the pakki staff then do a runner :ph34r:

Hang on they can almost definitely outrun me nowadays :unsure:

Young Henry's brewery is visitable, and worthwhile doing so - near the Enmore theatre, not far from Newtown.

They'll also be doing a Tap Takeover wednesday night at the Royal Albert.

Not sure if The Union in Newtown has been mentioned yet either

Newtown / Enmore on Saturday Afternoon sounds the go, both at the same end of King Street as the new high tech railway station. I'll put on my hipster gear.

+1 for the Royal Albert and also Harts Pub.

Has anyone been into the Macquarie lately to see if they are still serving the Schwartz beers?

pyrosx said:
Young Henry's brewery is visitable, and worthwhile doing so - near the Enmore theatre, not far from Newtown.

They'll also be doing a Tap Takeover wednesday night at the Royal Albert.

Not sure if The Union in Newtown has been mentioned yet either
I was in Sydney a couple of weeks back and visited Young Henry"s a couple of times. it is a great little brewery/bar. Sip on some great beer (couple of hand pump beers as well) while looking at Bill Murry paintings and a nice stainless steel fermenters.

Back