[SYD] BEERFEST 2014 Homebrewers competition category

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of what happened here, last year.

Devonport (I think it was the council) had a beer-fest of sorts (note the 'hyphen'), and asked for HBers to put entries in. But no competition parameters, nothing. No feedback. Just a case of "if we like the beer, we'll let you know" - just a complete farce.

If they have it again this year, I doubt there will be any entries.

The TSHBC on the other hand - fantastically run, especially given it's the first year.

Geelong beer festival was the same. Winners announced but no 2nd or 3rd etc.
I pushed the issue with them and after I had shot down all their excuses, they told me to stop bothering them and deleted all my posts on their facebook page.
I entered the same beer for Geelong and Beerfest (Melbourne Brewers) Geelong gave it 75 Beerfest gave it 120.
Although Derek Hales was a judge he didn't judge this beer.
I will not be entering again!

Sorry for any confusion guys... This thread has never been an official Australian Hotel Beerfest (there you go, NealK) homebrew comp thread. I did make mention of this in the opening post but perhaps should've been clearer. I started the thread as I knew it was something that some AHB members would be interested in and not by request from the hotel or event co-ordinators. I hope I haven't disappointed anyone by not keeping the thread up to the minute.

However, the response was quite good this year with a little over 35 beers in for judging. I was able to taste all of them and there were some crackers.

The winner and runner up have been informed of their placings (congratulations boys), I'm told all the rest of the entrants will be notified personally of their score with judging notes (if requested) by friday of this week. Its not my place to announce the placings, I am a mere bartender here at the Aussie, however I will say for sure that the overall winner was one of our AHB members. The runner up, I'm not sure whether or not they are a member here.

Some really good beers in there guys. Well done.

edit: spelling and clarity.

Woohoo! Cat's out of the bag.... now I can skite :D

I won! :super:

Was totally shocked and pleasantly surprised. What an awesome prize - tickets and accommodation for the festival and a trip to Tassie for a VIP tour of Cascade brewery!

Thanks very much to the Australian Hotel and all the sponsors.

Sometimes this hobby really pays!

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back