SWIMBO advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panspermian

Reaction score
So with baby on the way in mid April,
She says:
'you can't brew in the house anymore.
Alcohol fumes are poisonous and will harm the baby'.

My brewing technique is getting better and I really wanted to enter a competition this year, even knowing I'll likely come last.
Recently purchased small fermenters to hone my skills, 'been waiting for the cooler months as I don't brew during summer. Seriously itching to do a brew.....

You could interpret this in one of two ways:

1. You are to do as she says and stop brewing,
2. You have just been given implicit permission to build a man/brew shed.

Just tell her she can't keep the baby in the house.
Baby fumes are poisonous and will harm your beers

Given that she is about to have a baby and be very tired and cranky, you'd best start brewing outside. Path of least resistance.

Plus brewing outside rules. Close the door to keep the poisonous fumes away, and also lock 'er indoors. Win win.

As warmer beer said, build a man-shed so your poisonous fume are contained when she and the baby are outside.

Unfortunately we live in a unit. Brewing has to be inside.
Bugger bum bitch.....

I questioned whether leaving an opened bottle of beer would release dangerous fumes.... really....?

panspermian said:
Unfortunately we live in a unit. Brewing has to be inside.
Have you got room on a balcony for a fridge and a temperature controller? That's all the space you really need.

Then go to town on "brewing" (the actual creation of wort prior to the addition of yeast) in the kitchen. Make as much smell and mess as you want, because wort doesn't have any alcohol in it, and she wont have a leg to stand on.

Until the divorce papers come through...

If that's the case, bar fridge and temp control on balcony.
Do kits + bits. Little camp burner and small pot for doing hops on the balcony.
Still make damn good beer. All-grain is not the only way to make great beer.

With a baby on the way, you'll be out of the unit soon enough... :D

Or if you're like me, it may take until the 2nd baby is 8 months old before you move out of unit into a house. But I am demented so don't do that.. :blink:

Maybe an outside fridge is the way to go.
I can't imagine boss lady will love the idea but at least it's out of the house.....

I'll look into it.

Cheers.

panspermian said:
I questioned whether leaving an opened bottle of beer would release dangerous fumes.... really....?
better not give her any ideas...

Talk to her logically, alcohol does note become a "fume" or a vapour until over 80c, so unless we are cranking the heat seriously high, then the baby is fine...... but you are talking a pregnant woman, so logic has already packed its bag and headed to South Australia to drink West End.

Those fumes are not.alcohol. It is co2 (still won't win argument with this info).
Perhaps discuss the chemicals in her perfumes and make up. Inform her that all this is now not permitted in the house as it can potentially expose baby to volatile compounds.
Mobile phones and wireless devices.
Microwave.
Remote control infra-red.
Take it to the extreme until she Backs down..

My wife (who lets me brew in the kitchen) said "what fumes are there?" And "fumes aren't poisonous are they?"

I know I have a very understanding wife, but seriously, her issue is baseless and you should be able to help her understand that.

Fermentation releases co2 into the atmosphere. If the atmosphere consisted purely of oxygen we would all forget to breathe and die.

Men who don't imbibe beer produce uglier children.

Children raised by home brewing fathers are less likely to marry a Seventh Day Adventist.

There is a greater rate of divorce in men who don't have a shed or guy space.

There you go. Some poignant facts you found on the internet so they must be true. Whatever you decide, do it before the bubs comes along or you won't have a leg to stand on.

Big congrats too, stranger from the internet.

Tell her brewing is an important hobby, that she is talking goo and that if you are to stop brewing/fermenting in the house, then she needs to work out practical, alternative solutions. Good relationships are give and take, not 'I'm not/you're not allowed'.

fraser_john said:
Talk to her logically, alcohol does note become a "fume" or a vapour until over 80c, so unless we are cranking the heat seriously high, then the baby is fine...... but you are talking a pregnant woman, so logic has already packed its bag and headed to South Australia to drink West End.
Ethanol's boiling point is just under 80 but it is volatile way below that.

No alcohol in brewing fumes. Maybe some in fermenting...

BUT I doubt she wants to be schooled.

Good opportunity to build an outdoor brewery.

Go out and buy a six pack of of your favorite beer every other night. Explain that if you can't brew any interesting styles you'll have to buy them.

Latest posts

Back