Sweeter Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeebsary

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering how i can sweeten up my cider?? i want it to taste similar to the strongbow sweet, anyone got any ideas or recipies??

Hi guys

Just wondering how i can sweeten up my cider?? i want it to taste similar to the strongbow sweet, anyone got any ideas or recipies??

use lactose in place of some of your sugar.

doesnt ferment out and leaves a residual sweetness to whatever you are making.

Add a dash of lemonade or apple juice to the finished product before drinking.

FROGMAN

Use an ale yeast in lieu of a champagne one. I used champagne and ended up with apple champgane lol. Very tasty what with the vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks I threw in the brew.

But yes, lactose would be the way to go. Try around 200~300g in the brew to start with and take it from there.

so instead of using 1kg of dex or sugar, should i use 700 to 800gm and the rest lactose? or just put the lactose in on top of the 1kg of sugar??

hmmm

id say dont use lactose... it isnt a great sweetener....my advice is to get yourself some stevia from a healthfod store - it has an incredible sweetness which tastes very natural in a cider .. i swear by it :)

so instead of using 1kg of dex or sugar, should i use 700 to 800gm and the rest lactose? or just put the lactose in on top of the 1kg of sugar??

use it on top of the regular sugar if you want to keep the same alcohol levels.

sorry my previous post wasnt very clear on this.

never heard of or used stevia, so that could be a good option as well. have to take facter's word for it though.

here's what wiki has to say on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

If you keg it just add 2 litres of apple juice to the keg. It works well. Just make sure that you keep the keg in the fridge the whole time though.

hmmm

id say dont use lactose... it isnt a great sweetener....my advice is to get yourself some stevia from a healthfod store - it has an incredible sweetness which tastes very natural in a cider .. i swear by it :)

how much do i need?? do i just put it in the fermenter? crush it up?

all ya help is greatly appreciated guys

Back