Sweet Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be truthful I would be happy to get 4 points Darren.

Have you mashed at higher temps and experienced good attenuation still?

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:

C&B
TDA
[post="66029"][/post]​

TDA
It is really hard to tell as i haven't done the controlled experiments. There doesn't really seem to be a good correlation between hot/cold mash and FG. If I had one at 1.020 I would consider it stuck unless it started at 1.080

I know you said not to mention it but:
(might be worth bottling a couple of bottles and adding some lactose to one and not to the other and see which she prefers) :rolleyes:
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
THE DRUNK ARAB said:

C&B
TDA
[post="66029"][/post]​

TDA
It is really hard to tell as i haven't done the controlled experiments. There doesn't really seem to be a good correlation between hot/cold mash and FG. If I had one at 1.020 I would consider it stuck unless it started at 1.080

I know you said not to mention it but:
(might be worth bottling a couple of bottles and adding some lactose to one and not to the other and see which she prefers) :rolleyes:
cheers
Darren
[post="66110"][/post]​

Should know in about 10 days if higher mash temp has made any difference to attenuation.

Not a bad idea on the lactose Darren. It is her beer after all and there is no way I will be touching it :eek: .
The bottles without lactose however......... :chug:

C&B
TDA

It has been in the fermenter for 9 days now and the gravity reading is constant at 1020 so either the 69C mash temp was ideal for a fuller bodied finish or the 1968 yeast has flocculated. I have heard this can happen with this yeast, anyone else experience it? I pitched 1/2 a cup of slurry.

Mrs Arab liked it out of the fermenter which is the main thing :) .

C&B
TDA

TDA,

Have used 1968 a lot. It will drop out with a fairly high FG. Leave it like that if you want (is a sweet stout after all :p ).

Otherwise towards the end of fermentation, warm the fermenter up a couple of degrees (I go from 16-17 to about 20c) and gently agitate the fermenter to swirl the trub up. This can make it drop a couple of points sometimes.

IMO the nicest yeast you can use for a bitter. Quick ferment, nice malty/light fruity flavour and finishes brilliantly clear.

:lol: Mrs. Arab? Shouldn't that be the Sultana?

Warren -

Thanks for that Warren. :D

I have the same yeast fermenting an American Amber Ale at the moment so may need to rouse this one.

My staple yeast for bitters and pales is normally 1028. From what I taste so far this 1968 looks like becoming a favourite. :super:

C&B
TDA

Well this baby stayed at 1020 so it was bottled over a week ago.
Have to say it certainly is sweet but not a sickly sweet which lactose seems to impart (IMO anyway).

It is very smooth and velevety in the mouth, very similar to an Oatmeal stout I made last year.

The Sultana loves it so jobs right! :D

C&B
TDA

Back