Super Summer Thirst Quenching Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheridan69

Reaction score
I just posted this in the recipe DB but it's coming out as an American Ale - I couldn't register it as a cider so I'll just post it here instead.

This is my attempt at a Bulmers / Magners dry clone. I think it's pretty close (if not better :icon_cheers: ).

What I really like about it is that it's really easy to make and it SUPERB after only 3 weeks conditioning. The combination of ingredients make for a depth of character you won't believe. There might not be any cider apples in there, but we can add the acid and tarte flavours they would normally impart with other simple ingredients.

This recipe is for a 5 litre experimental batch that I made, but you can multiply it up to suit your needs. The acid in the lemon and the tannins in the tea make this super thirst quencher while the combination of lemon and honey give it heaps of character.

Somerset Gold 5Litres (1 Gallon)

===========================
2.4L Apple (Just Juice)
2.4L Apple & Pear (Just Juice)
Juice of half a lemon
250mls strong Liptons tea
100gms Honey (diluted with hot water for easy mixing)
3.5 gms Favorite Yeast

Process
=======
1. Steep tea bag in about 250mls of boiling water, add juice of lemon and honey. stir honey until dissolved.
2. Cover with cling file and let cool down.
3. Fill fermenter with juices (this should equal 75% apple and 25% pear)
4. Add Honey Lemon tea liquid.
5. Pitch yeast - I used left over pack of Coopers kit yeast. Probably an ale yeast. If using a champagne yeast the end product may end up very dry.

Primary for 14 days (16-24C)

This tastes great straight out of the fermenter as a 'Scrumpy' but tastes even better when conditioned for 2-3 weeks.

Enjoy :icon_chickcheers:

im definatley gonna try this in a few weeks. a quick question, do you reckon i could replace the honey with something like maple syrup? or something thats similar? just because a few friends cant have it and i like to invite em over, have a bbq and share the brew i make. cheers

Back