Sunbeam Beer Mate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanj

Reaction score
Hi,

i got a Sunbeam Beer Mate for Xmas. I have done a search on here and I know there are a few threads but I can't find answers for the questions I have.

Firstly does anybody know what 5l commerical kegs from the bottleshop will work in it??

Also it says you can put a small keg of homebrew in it. Has anybody had any experience with doing this?? How long would it keep homebrew fresh etc etc.

thanks in advance

Post a pic and we'll be able to tell you for sure. I believe its the common shape/style used by bitburger, tooheys new, woodstock bouron and coke and others. The kegs have a vent in the top that you open to the air and the tap at the bottom, gravity does the rest.

The Heine style will probably not work, they have the beer coming out the top somehow (haven't seen one up close and personal) and they use some contraption to keep the beer seperated from the atmosphere, thats how they claim the beer can be drank for 30 days from opening.

Are these the ones that have a baloon/bladder sort of arrangement to displace the beer for pouring? Or are they direct vented/pressurised?

I almost got one of these things for my dad for x-mas but was not sure if I could refill a Heini keg or similar with real beer (my beer) :rolleyes: The one I saw was a new brand from Big W. I did notice that it said on the box that it maintains a max pressure of about 110 Kpa, so it must have a little co2 bomb in there somewhere, but I bailed out on the idea as dad is not a big drinker and I told him for the amount he drinks to stick with the VB twist tops!

Steve

Aquaport, thats was it. $55 its almost worth buying just to check out how these things work. Not much good for most of the fellas on this site though.

There's a destruction manual on the Aquaport site. They write in an unusually large and bold type that you need to cool the keg in the fridge first. That should be enough of a hint... ;)

There's a destruction manual on the Aquaport site. They write in an unusually large and bold type that you need to cool the keg in the fridge first. That should be enough of a hint... ;)

Yeah, apparently its only meant for keeping a keg cold, it would take forever and a day to "chill" one down.

EDIT: Just checked out the big dub catalogue, I got given one of those aquaport ones for my bday in September - its still in the box. I'm planning on taking it back after the gift giver's memory fades a little and I can do it on the sly. No need for it when I have HB kegs in a fridge with taps.
Its not a bad idea I guess, but to me it seems a bit like an ice cream maker - you use it once and the novelty is gone so it sits at the back of the cupboard forever.

^^^That looks like the one I have.

Back