Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
Monteiths Summer Ale is a refreshingly different beer. The opportunity to rediscover some flavour highlights of beer styles enjoyed on summer days past, and bring them back to life.

At the end of last century, in England, Europe and the Americas and in New Zealand, there was still an adherence to brew with barley, wholesome grains, hops and other traditional brewing spices.

Monteiths Summer Ale is a bright gold beer with great body from four different malts. Spiced with a single hop variety and a touch of history - a little Rata honey. Subtle, but enough to make all the difference. The result is a truly refreshing herbal spiced beer brewed for the Summer Season a splendid thirst quencher.

Monteiths Summer Ale enjoyed ice-cold with a simple range of fruits, perhaps refreshing wedge of orange or lime. Alternatively, match with summer salads and stir-frys to complement the light flavours.

Hi Guys

Read about this beer in a newspaper review and have been intrigued and am going to have a crack at something similar

The key issue for me is the quantities of the spices

Basically I was going to boil for 20 mins 20gms of hops for bitterness (maybe POR or taurus - not really fussed on this aspect so will use leftover hops)

For the record I am going to use the Coopers Heritage lager kit and 1.5 Coopers Liquid malt extract

The spice blend which I would heat to a boil in couple of litres of water
500 gms of honey
20 grms of cracked coriander
20 grms of grated ginger
Rind of one lemon

Looks the goods.

If you are using a kit I wouldn't add 20g of POR bittering hops. I guess the kit would be roughly 15-18 BU's (a little less or on par with VB), boiling POR for 20mins will add another 8 to 10 BU's that will be a bit high for what I percieve you are trying to make.

Looking at the recipe something like 20g of Bsaaz as aroma hops with the spices will be better in my opinion, just boil them all for 5 mins.

Thanks for the feedback Jazza

I have a frsh pack of saaz that will fit the bill

Back