Tips for a POR Pale Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of making something along the lines of a Cooper's Pale Ale, but was hoping of making it a bit different.

My idea was to do a single 60 min addition of POR hops, and have pale malt, a little bit of Munich malt (for maltiness) and a little bit of crystal malt (mostly for head retention, I enjoy beer more with a foamy head :) ).

Would this work as a recipe?

Sounds good. Coopers actually used to be a lot darker but they shifted it to more of a lager colour over the years. The sparkling ale was marmalade coloured right up to the 90s so some crystal would give a retro look. For head I'd go up to 50% wheat malt.
When I get on the PC later I'll post a pic.

Carafoam instead of crystal would be well suited, up to 10% has a slight impact on flavour and aids head retention.
Good move with the single addition. Don't get too tempted to add late hops because the more you do this the further to take it away from a simple pale ale. Are you going to harvest some Cooper's yeast?

I always use 50% wheat malt with my Coopers Sparkling tributes:
rocky head.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for replies.

As for Carafoam, I'll check that out, sounds a good option.

As for wheat, would it make the beer somewhat sweeter?

I hadn't thought about the yeast yet, but that would be fun - I've harvested and recycled my own yeast once, but not yet a commercial one.

Bribie G, that head looks very inviting!

If anything the wheat is "drying".
Best way to culture Coopers is to buy 3 x 750ml bottles from a fast moving outlet like Dan's or BWS. Allow to settle out for a few days then drink the bright beer. Tough job but you'll manage.
As you go, push caps back on bottles to stop nasties getting in.

Culture with a 1.040 wort (light dried malt extract etc). It can take up to three days to get visible activity.

If anything the wheat is "drying".
Best way to culture Coopers is to buy 3 x 750ml bottles from a fast moving outlet like Dan's or BWS. Allow to settle out for a few days then drink the bright beer. Tough job but you'll manage.
As you go, push caps back on bottles to stop nasties getting in.

Culture with a 1.040 wort (light dried malt extract etc). It can take up to three days to get visible activity.
Could you just add water and sugar to get it kicking?

Hi all,

Having looked at all the ideas and tips, I might go with:

3.3kg Pale Malt
1kg Munich Malt
750g Wheat Malt
200g Carapils

For yeast I'll either harvest or grab a suitable one from LHBS.

This is the same grain bill as for an American-style pale ale I've done before. The wheat and carapils (which is basically the same as carafoam?) were also mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd stick with something familiar for this one.

Use MALT, not sugar. Malt also contains some nutrients that sugar does not

You can culture Coopers yeast with sugar and water though.

I was surprised to read on the Coopers site a few years ago that they recommended re culturing their yeast with just sugar and water. I gave it a go and was even more surprised that it worked and worked really well.

Many years ago in the UK I had tried just out of interest with other bottle conditioned ales and it didn’t work.

You can culture Coopers yeast with sugar and water though.

I was surprised to read on the Coopers site a few years ago that they recommended re culturing their yeast with just sugar and water. I gave it a go and was even more surprised that it worked and worked really well.

Many years ago in the UK I had tried just out of interest with other bottle conditioned ales and it didn’t work.

Where getting into dangerous territory now :fallingoffchair:

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I found a 25kg bag of Joe white pils malt I forgot I had last night. Could you sub that for the pale in this?

Latest posts

Back