Sulphur Smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow thats the least amount of info I have seen before!!!

Ok first and prob best thing is it ale or lager yeast??? and second what type is it?

now for sulfer smells it is very common when using lager yesat but with no info on what you have put down no one can help you

Sulphur is sometimes given off by some yeasts. Lager yeasts are renowned for it. If you use sodium metabisulphite as a sanitiser and don't rinse properly you may also notice sulphur.

Generally not a problem - should dissipate. If you do use sodium met though, definitely rinse well.

what temps it at?? some kit yeast have a mix of lager and ale yeast so it will ferment at lager and ale temps. at lager temps the ale goes to sleep but at ale temps the lager still ferments they usually use pretty hardy yeast well they have to the way they are stored. Why are you using kit yeast? you joined over 3 years ago so surly your out of kit yeast.

I got coopers sodium percarbonate sanitiser, i am trying to find star san in melbourne. I am brewing at 19.5 'C. I have quit brewing 3 times now! kits

Yeh, at least get some decent yeast. Think about what Cocko said?

The Sulphur should not be a problem.

I got coopers sodium percarbonate sanitiser, i am trying to find star san in melbourne. I am brewing at 19.5 'C. I have quit brewing 3 times now! kits

Sodium Percarbonate is a cleaner, not a sanitiser. Get StarSan at either Grain and Grape or Craftbrewer. You will only need the 500ml bottle as it is reusable till it goes cloudy.

Sodium Percarbonate is a cleaner, not a sanitiser. Get StarSan at either Grain and Grape or Craftbrewer. You will only need the 500ml bottle as it is reusable till it goes cloudy.

coopers call it a sanitiser

P1745_10_05_11.jpg

This stuff is a cleaner. Really good too. Great for soaking stuff to clean but you need to rinse off very well and then sanitise.
Personaly I use Sod perc to clean then starsan to sanitise.
Starsan may seem expensive but one small bottle will last several years.
Daz
Edit:
Sorry, above comments a bit off OP topic. As for the sulphur. Can only suggest give it time and cool temps.

coopers call it a sanitiser

They do but coopers instructions to homebrewers are somewhat inadequate (as are those of many other kit manufacturers). It does have some antibacterial qualities but it not the best sanitiser and needs to be rinsed.

It is also not cost effective. Pure sodium percarbonate can be bought elsewhere for less and unscented napisan/nappy wash/oxygen bleach will do many more brews than that (as a CLEANER, NOT as a sanitiser).

Read this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=18

They do but coopers instructions to homebrewers are somewhat inadequate (as are those of many other kit manufacturers). It does have some antibacterial qualities but it not the best sanitiser and needs to be rinsed.

It is also not cost effective. Pure sodium percarbonate can be bought elsewhere for less and unscented napisan/nappy wash/oxygen bleach will do many more brews than that (as a CLEANER, NOT as a sanitiser).

Read this article:http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=18
Thanks for the link. I always thought that Sodium Percarbonate was a no-rinse sanitiser. Further reading shows that Sodium Percarbonate breaks down into sodium peroxide and sodium carbonate. The article you refered to then says that sodium peroxide is an excellent sanitiser so I'm confused!

I've been using Sodium Percarbonate as a no-rinse sanitiser for a while now and haven't had any infections or off flavours but I'd like to get to the bottom of this as I'm wondering if I've simply been lucky so far?

You mean hydrogen peroxide not sodium peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide will kill bacteria etc but is not something I would leave unrinsed.

sodium perc can be used as a sanitiser but I would advise against it. You have to use hot water as cold water wont work as the hydrogen peroxide doesnt get activated. I just tipped put 15lts of water and 1.5kg of LDME coz I forgot to rinse my pot :( (was to busy trying to brew and clean the house at the same time) once it warmed up all I could smell is bleach so had to dump it. For house hold sanitiser prob bleach is the most effective and cost the least

Back