Sulfur Smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

Brewing stout this week and having a sulfur smell escaping from airlock is that normal?

.z

Hi there,

Brewing stout this week and having a sulfur smell escaping from airlock is that normal?

.z

I always thought sulfur was bad and ment you had something other then yeast growing, but I have never brewed stout.

A sulphur smell is normal for certain yeast strains. Just make sure you allow the yeast to clean up after itself at the end and all will be good

QldKev

A sulphur smell is normal for certain yeast strains. Just make sure you allow the yeast to clean up after itself at the end and all will be good

QldKev

Is there anyway to tell the difference between sulfur from Yeast vs sulfur from contaimination?

Zipster
I assume you mean S23,

If so no wonder why you have sulphur smells; that stuff really stinks; it is about the smelliest yeast I know off.
Basically you should be looking at fermenting at 12c
Then once you hit your FG, raise the temp up to 16 for a couple more days. This will allow the yeast to eat up all their 'poo' (sulphur smell) .
Then you should look at lagering it for a couple of weeks to finish it off.

PBR
I haven't really noticed a sulphur smell from any infected brew. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never smelt it. Infections normally have a different stink to fermenting of lager yeasts. Also normally you will see visual signs on top/slightly into the wort. Finally always taste the beer before bottling/keging.

QldKev

lagering?

i'm not deciding on the weather therefore nor the temp. the brew is at about 10-14, tasted it today is staring to get there, taking longer though with cold weather, still over 1020 after 6 days.

Back