Suggestion/Idea: 50L SS insulated pot $120 delivered

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick the Knife

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Stumbled across this 50L stainless steel pot as I searched for a vessel to assist me in transitioning from Extract to AG/BIAB - it's not suitable for my purposes (as it CANNOT be used to add heat to contents i.e put on stovetop etc) as it's a double walled, insulated pot.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124731927416?hash=item1d0a9a2b78:g:Q2UAAOSwDttgpRsx
However i thought at it's pricepoint it could be a very handy option for folks who might wish to make a mush tun etc out of it. There's even the potential to drill and add an electric heating element through the side etc. Or as I'd imagine it already has a very good seal the the top you could add a silicone gasket and use as a fermenter.

Just remember you can NOT use this on a cooktop. They also appear to make a 30L version for $20 less.

I've zero association to do with the seller - I'd just not seen anything like this and thought it might be handy for the ingenious folks who lurk among us.

Cheers, Nick :)

What a great spot, @Nick the Knife .

You know, I literally just a week or so ago upgraded my mashtun to a 50 liter nano from Cheeky Peak. Its a great pot, but cost wise:

$245.00 for the triple base pot
$ 60.00 for the insulating jacket
$ 50.00 delivery.

If I'd known about this, I would have had to seriously consider it on cost alone. I live not far up the road from the seller's location!

Now, let me just be clear - I am very, very happy with the Cheeky Peak unit. It does everything its says on the tin - holds temp really well, has predrilled holes positioned perfectly to mount my existing Blichman auto sparge and bimetal thermometer, plus it came with a really nice weldless ball valve. A top quality product. And it will be repurposed as a boiler in a few years when I eventually downsize my system.

Still, with that eBay pot, an hour or so's work with a 20mm punch, a bit of fiddling to adapt a ball valve to go through the (undoubtedly) thicker insulated wall and you'd have something that would appear on-par with the SS Brewtech Mashtun. For hundreds of spondoola's less than what that unit goes for.

Be good for someone with a 3V to give it a go and let us know! May even be useful for Robo/Brewzilla/Guten/Grainfather guys to heat some sparge water ahead of time and hold it at temp until needed. I am sure there are further potential uses as well.

Note that it’s a twin wall vacuum pot. If you drill holes in it, it stops being insulated at all.
You would need to go over the side, either elements or a syphon to drain down sweet water/wort if mashing or boiling in it.
Not all that hard to do and it does look like a nice bit of kit but please no holes.
Mark

Note that it’s a twin wall vacuum pot.

Not sure about that Mark - only says its insulated. For a hundred bucks, I reckon its just a layer of foam between thin SS walls. The stickers on the image seem to suggest this, but hey, I don't read Chinese.

Still, you may be right. I should probably ask the seller.

You might be right, I shouldnt assume. Would still be very cautious drilling into it.
Worth asking before you buy.
Mark

Seller just advised it’s foam insulated. So, any takers? Curious to know how you go if so.

Last edited:
Back