Subbing pellet hops for dried flowers, how much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakbeer

Reaction score
Fellow hop heads

I've brewed this beer (Black IPA) quite a few times now & it's always been a cracker of a beer. My mate wants me to brew it for his wedding in March so I'm brewing it today.

I've just realised that I only have a small amount of Nelson pellets left but I have a shipload of Nelson flowers

Here's the hop schedule:

41g Nelson @ 60
31g Nelson @ 10
39g Nelson @ 5
59g Nelson Dry

The above schedule has always been done with pellets, so how many grams of dried flowers should I use instead?

Flowers are marked as 2013 crop with 12%AA, Pellets I was using were marked 2013 crop with 11.5%AA

Any help would be appreciated, just about to start heating strike so I've got a couple of hours before I need to start weighing my hops

:cheers:

Thanks Yob,

just so I'm clear, you mean add 10% more flowers than I would pellets?

If you don’t have brew software, you can download BrewMate free or a trial of Beersmith.

Beersmith 2 is on my other laptop, which swmbo has borrowed

breakbeer said:
Thanks Yob, just so I'm clear, you mean add 10% more flowers than I would pellets?
Yeah mate, pellets are typically T90 where flowers are T100, hence the 10%

T45 pellets can be had, but arent common here for some reason.

I would leave the hop amounts the same as the flowers have a higher AA which probably balances out an increase in overall weight.??

Latest posts

Back