Style Of The Week 9/8/06 - Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good to me! If I were making it, I would drop the light crystal and go to 5% medium, 3% dark and don't mash too high

Looks good to me, though I'd probably omit the light crystal

edit: beaten (by nearly an hour too!!!)

Looking at doing a bitter in the next couple of days. Any feedback is welcome

85% MO
6% heritage xtal
6% victory
3% dark xtal

EKG @ 60 and 10 to 35IBU

WLP005

I need to brew again within the next week, but I'm out of most of my base malts, and can't get down to MHB for another 3 weeks or so to restock.

I have plenty of specialty malts to suit a Bitter, but the only base malts I have are Light Munich and Wheat.
Was thinking the Light Munich could be used, probably give a somewhat similar character to floor malted MO ??

It has to be a UK ale I brew, because the only yeast I have in stock is Wyeast Whitbread WY1099.

What do you think?

It has to be a UK ale I brew, because the only yeast I have in stock is Wyeast Whitbread WY1099.

What do you think?
I think you could also brew a Blonde Ale or even American-style Wheat. ;)

Looking at doing a bitter in the next couple of days. Any feedback is welcome

85% MO
6% heritage xtal
6% victory
3% dark xtal

EKG @ 60 and 10 to 35IBU

WLP005
That's a lot of victory IMHO. If you love it, go for it though

That's a lot of victory IMHO. If you love it, go for it though

Really? To be honest, I haven't used it yet since I got it in the BB, but going from some recipes ive seen and comments, I was under the impression between 5-10% was a suitable amount of victory?

If not, I might drop it a touch. I was actually thinking of 90/5/5 MO/H. Xtal/Victory and dropping the dark xtal, but can easily drop a couple of % victory for some more MO - 92/5/3

Sponge

Want to keg an english bitter this arvo after work. What kind of kpa levels do you need to carb it up to say 1.3 vol? Been searching for the answer but no luck so posting here. I know it will depend on temp and my fridge is sitting at 5C but cant seem to find any info on force carbing lower carbonated beers like milds and bitters.

Surprisingly not, about 2cm of Krausen then finished. Good time frame about 4-5 days. Will harvest the yeast tonight and throw it on something else is a few weeks. If it tastes awesome ill bring the keg to the swap

Midnight Brew said:
Want to keg an english bitter this arvo after work. What kind of kpa levels do you need to carb it up to say 1.3 vol? Been searching for the answer but no luck so posting here. I know it will depend on temp and my fridge is sitting at 5C but cant seem to find any info on force carbing lower carbonated beers like milds and bitters.
Beersmith says 5.14kpa, surely that cant be right, can it?

These might help.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/PSI/to/kPa

IMG_0003.jpg

Thanks MP. Kegged late last night going with 100kpa for 24 hours then down to the bee's dick of a setting inbetween 20kpa and off for the rest.

Midnight Brew said:
Thanks MP. Kegged late last night going with 100kpa for 24 hours then down to the bee's dick of a setting inbetween 20kpa and off for the rest.
Did it lose any carbonation over the life of the beer?

Khellendros13 said:
Did it lose any carbonation over the life of the beer?
Nope, gained carbonation from serving pressure but just used the pressure release pin every few days to draw off the excess. Not an ideal beer to keg or id assume it would be better if you were having an event and put the keg on to be consumed that weekend.

Midnight Brew said:
Nope, gained carbonation from serving pressure but just used the pressure release pin every few days to draw off the excess. Not an ideal beer to keg or id assume it would be better if you were having an event and put the keg on to be consumed that weekend.
Thanks.

Been brewing different beers for the past 12 months since I started and now I'm looking for a beer to brew consistently in order to dial in my process, understanding of what i'm doing....I figure I'm going to go with a bitter.

How's this look for a first draft-

20L batch size

GrainBill
3.000 Maris Otter (85%)
0.400 Light Crystal (10%)
0.200 Wheat Malt (5%)

Hops
15g Target @ 60
10g EKG @ 40
5g EKG @ 20

Mash @ 67
OG 1.039
FG 1.010
ABV 3.8%

Yeast - Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire

*Note - % are not exact

I don't get Maris Otter here so I replicate it:

8% Munich
8% Vienna
84% Pale ale

------------

=MO make believe blend

4% Crystal150
4% Wheat malt
92% MO make believe
a handful of black for colour

This to me is the perfect bitter grist bill.

Latest posts

Back