Style Of The Week 20/6/07 - Maibock/helles Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd post my '08 Mash Paddle Maibock recipe. It was very young when entered so got dinged for clarity and a dominant alcohol flavour. After an extended lagering period it's now bright as and the alcohol is there, but I wouldn't call it dominant.
Hoping this will inspire some other people to post their Maibock recipes as I'm keen to see how else it can be done.

Mash Paddle MaiBock

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.40
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.88
Anticipated SRM: 7.1
Anticipated IBU: 30.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
16.7 1.40 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
77.4 6.50 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 4
6.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Magnum Pellet 13.10 19.4 60 min.
50.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Plug 3.20 11.2 30 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 2633 Oktoberfest (Just what I had available at the time and thought it might accentuate the maltiness)

This has improved vastly in the keg over the last 4 weeks while lagering.

DSCN4413.JPG

Style: Traditional Bock
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 33.00 L
Boil Size: 42.47 L
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 24.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pilsner (4.0 EBC) Grain 50.65 %
5.00 kg Munich (15.0 EBC) Grain 42.21 %
0.84 kg Caramunich I (90.0 EBC) Grain 7.13 %
23.00 gm Magnum [15.60 %] (90 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
45.00 L 1 Parkside (SA Water - Hope Valley) Water
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: 1 RIMS - Single Infusion temp
Total Grain Weight: 11.84 kg
----------------------------
1 RIMS - Single Infusion temp
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 35.53 L of water at 71.4 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min 78.0 C

I've got Raven's recipe in the fermenter after grabbing the Beersmith file off him, need a bit of advice. It went in on the 24/08 with a blowoff tube, the tube was still bubbling a few days back - took a gravity reading (1015) and put an airlock on it and it kept bubbling, only just stopping now.

Danish Lager 2206 at 13 and then put it up to 15 to get it moving along a few days ago. I've never used this yeast, what should I be doing from this point, cold condition once the gravity settles or just leave it on the yeast cake for another fortnight or so and then CC?

Wyeast recommend a diacetyl rest and you fermented on the high side so I imagine four days to a week at 19c?

I have a hella bock smack pack in the fridge, need to brew a bock or doppelbock, let us know how it works out.

Wyeast recommend a diacetyl rest and you fermented on the high side so I imagine four days to a week at 19c?

I have a hella bock smack pack in the fridge, need to brew a bock or doppelbock, let us know how it works out.
Ok thanks mate - the thing was I had an Oatmeal Stout in the fermenting fridge to so that's why I fermented at the top end.

I'm still at that stage with all grain that when I do a new beer I'm surprised that it tastes like the style when it does :lol: . This is my first Bock and tasting from the Hydrometer was awesome, had the real Bock taste that the few I've tried have had. Can't wait to try it!

Don't be suprised if its not great until 3+ months in keg/bottle mate. I found that with this beer. Must brew it again!

raven19 said:
Don't be suprised if its not great until 3+ months in keg/bottle mate. I found that with this beer. Must brew it again!
Started drinking this recently and you're right, it's much nicer than at first. Worked out perfect for what I wanted, to try and get more accustomed to these types of beers. Really starting to enjoy Bocks, Belgians etc ....

Back