Style Of The Week 19/7/06 Scottish Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So this week it's off to the land of whisky and fried mars bars (sorry Stu). Scottish ales (not the stronger Scotch Ale) occupy three categories in the BJCP style guidelines, 9A, B and C, here.

As with English bitters and Belgian beers, the guidelines are a recent introduction, mainly by American brewers, and don't necessarily reflect any difference in brewing. A great article on Scottish ales (thanks to TDA for originally posting the link) can be found here.

So, what are your recipes for this/these styles? Grains of choice? Hops? Yeast choice is important for this style. Have you found any difference between the White Labs and Wyeast scottish yeasts? Have you made an extract/kit version of this style? Any hints from your experience?

Anyway, for what they are worth the BJCP guidelines are below.

Notes
All the Scottish Ale sub-categories (9A, 9B, 9C) share the same description. The Scottish ale sub-styles are differentiated mainly on gravity and alcoholic strength, although stronger versions will necessarily have slightly more intense flavors (and more hop bitterness to balance the increased malt). Entrants should select the appropriate category based on original gravity and alcohol level.
9A. Scottish Light 60/-

Aroma: Low to medium malty sweetness, sometimes accentuated by low to moderate kettle caramelization. Some examples have a low hop aroma, light fruitiness, low diacetyl, and/or a low to moderate peaty aroma (all are optional). The peaty aroma is sometimes perceived as earthy, smoky or very lightly roasted.

Appearance: Deep amber to dark copper. Usually very clear due to long, cool fermentations. Low to moderate, creamy off-white to light tan-colored head.

Flavor: Malt is the primary flavor, but isn't overly strong. The initial malty sweetness is usually accentuated by a low to moderate kettle caramelization, and is sometimes accompanied by a low diacetyl component. Fruity esters may be moderate to none. Hop bitterness is low to moderate, but the balance will always be towards the malt (although not always by much). Hop flavor is low to none. A low to moderate peaty character is optional, and may be perceived as earthy or smoky. Generally has a grainy, dry finish due to small amounts of unmalted roasted barley.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low to medium body. Low to moderate carbonation. Sometimes a bit creamy, but often quite dry due to use of roasted barley.

Overall Impression: Cleanly malty with a drying finish, perhaps a few esters, and on occasion a faint bit of peaty earthiness (smoke). Most beers finish fairly dry considering their relatively sweet palate, and as such have a different balance than strong Scotch ales.

History: Traditional Scottish session beers reflecting the indigenous ingredients (water, malt), with less hops than their English counterparts (due to the need to import them). Long, cool fermentations are traditionally used in Scottish brewing.

Comments: The malt-hop balance is slightly to moderately tilted towards the malt side. Any caramelization comes from kettle caramelization and not caramel malt (and is sometimes confused with diacetyl). Although unusual, any smoked character is yeast- or water-derived and not from the use of peat-smoked malts. Use of peat-smoked malt to replicate the peaty character should be restrained; overly smoky beers should be entered in the Smoked Beer category rather than here.

Ingredients: Scottish or English pale base malt. Small amounts of roasted barley add color and flavor, and lend a dry, slightly roasty finish. English hops. Clean, relatively un-attenuative ale yeast. Some commercial brewers add small amounts of crystal, amber, or wheat malts, and adjuncts such as sugar. The optional peaty, earthy and/or smoky character comes from the traditional yeast and from the local malt and water rather than using smoked malts.

9A. Scottish Light 60/-
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.030 - 1.035 1.010 - 1.013 10 - 20 9 - 17 2.5 - 3.2%
Commercial Examples: Belhaven 60/-, McEwan's 60/-, Maclay 60/- Light (all are cask-only products not exported to the US)

9B. Scottish Heavy 70/-
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.035 - 1.040 1.010 - 1.015 10 - 25 9 - 17 3.2 - 3.9%
Commercial Examples: Caledonian 70/- (Caledonian Amber Ale in the US), Belhaven 70/-, Orkney Raven Ale, Maclay 70/-

9C. Scottish Export 80/-
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.040 - 1.054 1.010 - 1.016 15 - 30 9 - 17 3.9 - 5.0%
Commercial Examples: Orkney Dark Island, Belhaven 80/-(Belhaven Scottish Ale in the US), Belhaven St. Andrews Ale, McEwan's IPA, Caledonian 80/- Export Ale, Broughton Merlin's Ale, Three Floyds Robert the Bruce

Ah, takes me back to hours spent in various locals in Edinburgh.
The Bow Bar, The Guildford Arms, The World's End...

A pint of 80/- in hand eyeing off the single malts if the night was cold...

So, what are your recipes for this/these styles? Grains of choice? Hops? Yeast choice is important for this style. Have you found any difference between the White Labs and Wyeast scottish yeasts? Have you made an extract/kit version of this style? Any hints from your experience?

Folks

I did a 70/- a few months ago as a headwetter brew to celebrate a mate's new baby. He's from Glasgow and pronounced it 'Och its great!" (only in a Glaswegan accent). I used the white labs scottish yeast (edenburugh ale). I don't have the recipe with me but IIRC it was mostly JW pale ale (about 4.5kg) with a good whack of crystal (200g or so) and a tiny amount of roast barley (50g) for colour. I used northern brewer for bittering and EKG and Fuggles for a bit of flavour. I'll dig out the recipe tonight and see if I've missed anything. I did a 120 minute boil instead of my usual 90 to try to get some extra kettle caramalisation.

The only problem I found with it was that the roast barley flavour actually came through quite strongly and dominated a bit. The recipe was for black malt but on brew day I found that the bag of black malt thought I had in the freezer was roast barley. I realy should check this sort of thing befor ebrewday.

Other than that it was good. Nice and malty. bit of caramel. Too bitter for style acording to the BJCP but spot on acording to my Glaswegan mate so I'm happy with that.

Cheers
Dave

This one come up rather nicely. I used a lager yeast at slightly higher temps (Wy. 2278) to try and create a "clean" maltiness. Also caramelised in the kettle. Was a nice drop early on but probably attenuated too much over time in the keg and got a little too clean. Also I would replace the Powells with Marris Otter. ;)

Glesgay Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-B Scottish and Irish Ale, Scottish Heavy 70

Min OG: 1.035 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 23 Max Clr: 44 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.30
Anticipated OG: 1.035 Plato: 8.84
Anticipated EBC: 37.4
Anticipated IBU: 20.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 50 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.3 0.40 kg. Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 4
10.8 1.00 kg. Bourghul (Wholemeal) Australia 1.034 4
75.3 7.00 kg. Powells Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.037 4
6.5 0.60 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 194
2.2 0.20 kg. TF Amber Malt UK 1.033 133
1.1 0.10 kg. TF Roasted Barley UK 1.033 1640

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 17.8 60 min.
20.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 3.2 15 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2278 Czech Pils

Notes:

Took 4 litres of the first runnings and boiled them down to about 2 litres. Has left a great caramelized finish. Needs to be done again if this beer is repeated.
This beer is drinking beautifully ATM. 5 Weeks after kegging the flavours are truly at their prime.
If I were to repeat this beer the only change I would make is to use Marris Otter.

Warren -

GLESGAY_ALE.jpg

I did a 120 minute boil instead of my usual 90 to try to get some extra kettle caramalisation.

Did you notice much difference from the longer boil?

not sure. I'd have to split a batch and do one half with a long boild and the other with trhe normal boil to be sure. Having said that there was a definite caramel aroma and flavour.

Next time I might just take a couple of litres and boil them right down in another pot to get the same effect without having to boil for longer (brew day is long enough already).

Cheers
Dave

For a couple of years into the all grain game I avoided the shilling styles.
Partly frightened I might get unjustifiably stereotyped :p partly feart that ah' woudnae dae it richt :eek:

Now there is at least an annual Scottish in the repertoire. Some other guys round here (hello Batz, hello SteveSA) may brew them better then me, but I am getting better. My partner, a good aussie girl who spent 5 years with me in Scotland, tastes them, smiles and says "Belhaven". That's good enough for me, though I think she has forgotten the Caledonian!

For me some of the basics are good base malts to begin with, preferably Golden Promise, but Marris Otter failing that. Hopping is traditional, my preference is fuggles, but I will pay EKG. Higher temp mashes, pushing up to 70c for a nice thick, dextrinous wort. I go a longer boil to encourage caremalisation. With a 60/- I made about 2 litres more wort than required - drew off 4 litres and boiled that vigorously till it was reduced to 2 litres and returned the reduced, concentrated and caramelised wort to the main boil.

I reckon you don't need smoked malt. Both 1728 and White Labs Edinburgh ale yeast should have plenty of smoky character coming through, especially at their lower temp ranges. I would definitely go the Scottish yeasts for these styles - but they are very different beasts. My current 80/ used the white labs, and I still can't believe the comparatively restricted temp range it works best in (18-22c from memory), it died on me at 14c. 1278 from wyeast, as I have said before, is a workhorseof a yeast, will keep going down to 12c and chew through your fermenter if not careful.

Ray Daniels chapter on Scottish Ales in Designing Great Beers is a very good reference. I would happily recommend it over Noonan's Scotch Ales in the Classic Beer Style series.

and, in case any one thought I might have forgotten, the 80/- is one of the 17 style specific classes in this year's ANAWBS competition. That is a class I look forward to sampling the winners from :party:

Just hoping to revive this thread,

My understanding is that roast barley is traditional in Scottish ales but that most commercial brewers mnow avoid it, prefering black and choc malts instead.

Has anyone got a good recipe that relies on crytstal and choc malts to replicate the required colour?

Nice post Stu, very informative. I will be sipping my ANAWBS belhaven 80/- entry for the first time tonight.
Not sure how close I came with the recipe, and not even having tasted a Scottish Ale before I probably won't be able to guess if I got it right either :(
here's my recipe, and if you happen to try it at the comp please be gentle :lol:

cheers
Andrew

Recipe: Belhaven 80/-
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Scottish Export 80/-
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 12.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Ale Malt Powells (2.3 SRM) Grain 87.7 %
0.11 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SGrain 2.1 %
0.07 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
20.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.45 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.8 %
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Batch Sparge light body
Total Grain Weight: 4.68 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.04 L of water at 74.8 C 67.0 C 60 min

Other than that it was good. Nice and malty. bit of caramel. Too bitter for style acording to the BJCP but spot on acording to my Glaswegan mate so I'm happy with that.

I probably shouldn't rock the boat, but I'm personally of the opinion that these styles don't exist. There is no evidence that these beers are brewed any different to bitters in England. A friend of mine in the UK has done a lot of research about this, and found a few facts regarding some of the "historical" reasons for BJCP including these styles:

- Scottish styles use less hops as hops were more expensive in Scotland

Hop plantations were located all around the UK (including Scotland), and Edinburgh was a major brewing centre, producing nearly as much as hopped pale ale as Burton at one point. He cannot find any facts to back this up apart from a line in the BJCP, which was presumably made-up.

- Scottish styles were separated into different styles marked by price

They were also seperated the same way in England at one point. It was not common for bars in England to advertise beers as a standard price. It was just that a few brewers in Scotland reverted back to using this for novelty reasons.

- Scottish styles are much maltier, and have smoked notes

With the expection of some speciality beers (and Scotch ale, a Belgian style), smoked malt is never added. Water is usually filtered too, so its highly unlikely that is the source. The grain and hop usage is almost identical to the bitter styles in the UK. Infact, in side-by-side tastings, it's quite obvious that some of the Scottish beers are hoppier than their English counterparts!

edit: Just realised, I should of just posted an article he wrote about it:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-593.htm

Rock away Kook, I have the same feeling about Irish Red Ale.

Cheers
MAH

Great info, Kook, and thanks for posting that link. :super:

I think you are right basically that these categories are a bit artificial. The difference between the bitter categories also seems like nonsense to me.

Rock away Kook, I have the same feeling about Irish Red Ale.

And I would agree with you on that one MAH, the contemporary Irish Red Ale is an abomination, with no authentic brewing heritage to hang its misbegotten hat on.

Kook, you have more recent UK experience to call upon, but I have a deeper memory vault :p

I suspect there is a melding of the style boundaries occuring now, and what is being promoted as the Scottish Ale style may represent a blip on the historical radar. It is not, however, simply a figment of the imagination of BJCP style nazis or enthusiastic, but misguided, American craft brewing " revivalists".

I am, for good or bad, a child of the Scotland of the 1960s, who weaned himself on various Scottish beers in the decades of the 70s, 80s and into the early 90s. This certainly was a period of huge rationalisation and centralisation in the Scottish brewing industry. With numerous "Scottish" brewers being absorbed into larger English concerns. Hence Lorimar and Clark an arm of Vaux, Dryboroughs of Watney, Tennant of Bass.

Experientially (and, I will concede, perhaps a little nostalgically) my memories are of distinct differences between the typical Scottish Beer and that from South of the Border. The Scottish beers, in general, did have a more discernable malt content, greater body. significantly better head retention and, at their best, a distinctive nuttiness. Foremost amongst those flying the flag for this type of beer, in my selective memory, were the beers of MacLays, Belhaven and Lorimar and Clarke. The initial brews form Caledonian, following the management buyout of Lorimar and Clarke led by head brewer Russel Sharpe, certainly fitted that mould. In comparison, the standard English Bitter seemed a peely wally, insipid, pallid affair indeed.

As to terminology, I would tend to agree. The shilling naming system is as much a figment of late Twentieth century marketing as it is of any continuous historical tradition. When I started to drink beer in Edinburgh it was as light, heavy, export or wee heavy. As the CAMRA inspired push for real ale moved North, so did the 60. 70, 80 and 90 shilling marques take over the hand pumps. It would, however, be pushing things to suggest that either of these naming systems were simple substitutes for the English terms of mild, bitter, best bitter or barley wine.

As to the historic production of more hoppy beers in the Scottish industry and the distinctive Scotch Ale style, one may have to consider, historically at least, the production of beers for various export markets. Edinburgh once brewed for the world, as well as itself. Many beers produced for the export market were often not readily available for the domestic market. In my drinking days this was certainly true of Scotch Ale production. Far from being simplistically a Belgian style, much strong Scotch ale production was being produced for the Belgian, French and latterly American markets. Strong Scotch ales under the brand names of McEwan's, Douglas, MacAndrews and Gordon's spread a Scottish brewing tradition globally. You would have been hard pressed to find them in Princes or Sauchihall Streets, however. The style was particulary popular in Belgium. Its imitation alone, does not make it a Belgian style.

Peated malt belongs in whisky. Characteristic Scottish ale yeasts, such as wyeast 1728 and whitelabs 1028, can, and do, produce subtle smokey notes.

Some of the most credentialed Scottish beers of recent times, such as the CAMRA award winners Deuchars IPA and Bitter and Twisted from Harviestoun are great beers, that owe as much to English or current global brewing traditions, as they do to any quintessentially Scottish ones. They are very much beers brewed in Scotland, rather than Scottish Ales by any narrow stylistic parameters. My reaction to bottled versions of both has been to find them very good beers, but not particulary Scottish ;) .

I find it particularly sad, that the once highly distinctive and emblematic Scottish Brewer, Belhaven, now has as its leading domestic brand Belhaven Best - fermented at lager temperatures, served nitrogenated and cream flowed and even worst Extra Cold. Enough to make any nostalgic Scottish beer drinker shiver :ph34r: .

As a homebrewer, I do sometimes brew beers that emulate the Scottish beers I remember. That they happen to sit broadly in accordance with the 2004 BJCP style guidelines for Scottish 70/ or 80/ is perhaps, at best, a happy coincidence. They certainly taste different from the beers I brew and label as bitters.

Awrabest, stu.

Great post stu, thank you. obviously a topic close to your heart.

Well said Stu, and I would agree that even in just the style guidelines Scottish ale and English ales are not even similar.

If you go by my latest, an 80/- it is nothing like any of my milds, bitters ect :blink:

Mind you, as stated previously I have never tried a Scottish Ale before but the difference between my Bosun Best Bitter and my 80/- is very obvious.

Cheers
Andrew

I certainly believe there would be a multitude of differences between heavy and bitter as there are differences in bitters from region to region. We are talking about a long and rich culture here which has been under pinned by brewing for a long time.

Let's all celebrate with a Tennents Super. 1000's of deros could not be wrong. :lol:

Warren -

Let's all celebrate with a Tennents Super. 1000's of deros could not be wrong. :lol:

Warren -

Did I forget to mention our long tradition of brewing, and abusing, lagers. :ph34r: ?

Thankfully that one is not indigfenous (leastways I am not going to claim it), more a copy of Carlsberg Special Brew :eek:

Ugly stuff, both of them.

Wasn't trying to knock the great Scottish brewing tradition Stu, it's just pretty easy to see Tennents in that negative light... I can remember when I was in London you'd see one of these empty on the ground on virtually every street corner and sometimes the Tennents Stout cans. Sort similar here when you see empty woodstock bourbon and cola cans. :(

Just seems to be a solid trend in Europe these headbanger lagers. The Dutch in particular have a huge penchant for producing the things. :blink:

I've not tried any of them but suspect they'd be most foul indeed.

BTW Stu. That was a great article. :)

Warren -

Wasn't trying to knock the great Scottish brewing tradition Stu,

Why not, according to some, it doesn't exist :lol:

Tennants, or at least their precursors, opened their first dedicated lager brewery in 1888. Not the first in the UK, but probably the first to be met with real success. Personally I feel it is a style the Scots have yet to master.

I agree, the uber lagers are a blight on the social fabric. Hard to get off carpet fabric too, especially when they come bouncing back in a technicolour yawn :eek:

Latest posts

Back