Stuff Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
finaly got my very first keg setup cleaned and ready to go, decided to put my first beer in it

this is the part where i feel smart and stupid at the same time

see smart because knowing i was getting a keg i decided to put down a cheap as chips K&K coopers draught and kg dex special yum yum so that if i stuffed it.... well its a K&K
stupid because following my handy AHB instructions i gassed up the empty keg with some co2 to protect my beer (in all its crapyness) during transfer by purging with the blow off valve 3 times, sweet, soooooo i bring my keg over and put it under my fermentor then hooked up my syphon ( a tube connected to a black liquid disconnect) from the fermentor carefully filling the tube by slowly lowering it till its all full, no nasty oxygen, to the keg out post.

now a thunderous rumbling noise with a high pitched escalating squeel.....

what is happening are we being invaded by aliens, maybe russians? should i get in my car and head for the hills screaming "WOLVORINES!!!!"

no. i had forgoton to lift the purge valve before connecting so a kegs worth of co2 at 15psi was promptly shot up the syphon into the fermentor. the rumbling was my beer being violently frothed up so i had a fermentor full of head and the squeel was the pressure forcing through the tiny airlock hole should have seen the fermenters sides bulge out i thought it was gonna explode

<_<

:lol:

oh well it was a test beer and im sure co2 being forced in wont kill it maybe a bit of premature carbonation left it to settle then kegged that baby up.

Cmon i know im not the only one who wasnt paying enough attention with retarded results so fess up! :)

there are no "mistakes" as such only lessons to be learnt, and i am still learning :D

:D ........no bloody wonder they call you DangerousDave ( laughing )

there are no "mistakes" as such only lessons to be learnt, and i am still learning
you only learn from your mishaps..makes you a better brewer.only mistake i have made was using bleach as a sanitizer..didnt rinse very well..dont use bleach anymore

you only learn from your mishaps..makes you a better brewer.only mistake i have made was using bleach as a sanitizer..didnt rinse very well..dont use bleach anymore
Yeah, I still use bleach but it takes a LOT of rinsing... lemon scented bleach on the other hand, now that was a one off.

If you rinse with boiling water you don't need to go crazy. I rinse once with cold water (quick swish) once with boiling then for added protection against chlorephenols, use sodium met (probably unecessary but so what?)

Doing a tester was quite smart Dave -paid off in the end too.

Back