Stuck Mash And False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess replacing the hose with pipe will solve the problem and If I upsize to a keg MT I have a source for the fittings, thanks guys! :icon_cheers:

Snoozer & most likely KS,

It's not the weight of the grain collapsing the tube, it's the suction created by the transfer hose causing the hot tube inside the mash tun to collapse. This is why it's fine with just the tap open (worts being pushed out, not sucked) & fine once the mash has cooled a little (tube in mash is becoming a little more rigid).
If this is not the problem, it's as MHB pointed out earlier, the bottom sucking on to the false bottom, because of pretty much the same senario as I just explained.

Good luck guys, shouldn't be hard to fix.

Cheers Ross

I agree Ross. I have changed the tube over for 'pressure rated hose' (drinking quality) from Bunnings. Hopefully this will solve the problem and won't collapse under the heat/suction. Have yet to try it out, as we have a new addition to the family and time is short, but will post back when I do the next brew.

Just a quick update to this...

On the weekend I *finally* got to brew. I bought some reinforced drinking hose from Bunnings like niggles (I couldn't get 10mm hose, only 12mm, but it works fine - with a couple of hose clamps holds on tight) and ran that between the false bottom and ball valve. Draining the mash tun couldn't have been easier. A quick suck on the transfer hose to start the flow running and remove any airpockets in the tubing and she was away. It's the first time in a long time that I've had to throttle the flow right back because I thought it was just too fast!

So thanks for all the help. Sanity restored! :)

Latest posts

Back