Stuck Lid On Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
gday brewers,

first of all i apologise if i have placed this thread in the wrong place, but to the point the lid on my fermenter is stuck on atm.. i have the plastic coopers fermenter, went to open the lid to put finnings in and it is stuck on good.. i almost snapped the tap off with my foot trying to get leverage, any sugestions? has this happened to any of you guys before? i put it on very tight so i could see airlock activity and now i cant get it off at all :angry: please help

gday brewers,

first of all i apologise if i have placed this thread in the wrong place, but to the point the lid on my fermenter is stuck on atm.. i have the plastic coopers fermenter, went to open the lid to put finnings in and it is stuck on good.. i almost snapped the tap off with my foot trying to get leverage, any sugestions? has this happened to any of you guys before? i put it on very tight so i could see airlock activity and now i cant get it off at all :angry: please help

G'day SB,

Make yourself a fulcrum out of a bit of rope with a loop on one end. Pass the free end of the rope through the loop, fasten it tightly around the lid & pull steadily anticlockwise.
Or you could just use one of these --
Fermenter_Opener.JPG

TP

wrap a belt around it to get some leverage.....

Other techniques included using a long screwdriver to make it hop on the thread, tends to help.

It's stuffed, you now have to fill your fermenter via the air lock hole. Sanitising/cleaning will now become a real bitch :lol:

Seriously though, try and get a piece of timber wedged through the handle and use your feet to hold the tap, you may break the tap but it's better than buying a new fermenter. Obviously do this when the fermenter is empty, if you don't and the tap snappes, make sure you get someone to film it so we can all see the mad rush for some towels :lol:

It's stuffed, you now have to fill your fermenter via the air lock hole. Sanitising/cleaning will now become a real bitch :lol:

Seriously though, try and get a piece of timber wedged through the handle and use your feet to hold the tap, you may break the tap but it's better than buying a new fermenter. Obviously do this when the fermenter is empty, if you don't and the tap snappes, make sure you get someone to film it so we can all see the mad rush for some towels :lol:

This planet is chocca de blokka with cruel sods HB79 & you're one of them. :lol:

TP

Like the tool that Tidal Pete showed, try utilising those bits of plastic on the inner side of the lid.
A small block of wood & hammer, tap gently against those things to loosen it up.
I've snapped one or two off when it happened to me.

Other than that, stand over it with feet holding it as tight as you can, and exert brute force... and try not to snap that tap.

And forget about bubbling action. It don't matter.

lol thanks guys i knew the 'get someone stronger' remark would come up :p trying the belt method now

Angle grind the lid off and use gladwrap in future.

Edit: Cortez beat me to it. :icon_cheers:

rack the beer to another vessel if you can. You'll get it off once its empty and you arent worrying about the beer inside. Or add the finings once its in the keg (if you keg)

big stick through the lid handle as a fulcrum and give it a good shove

Ps.. throw the lid away and just use glad-wrap over it. 1 sheet over the top then one wrapping around the fermenter

Tom

Edit: speellling

Angle grind the lid off and use gladwrap in future.

Edit: Cortez beat me to it. :icon_cheers:
Seeing as my brewery is also the home to skinks, spiders & roaches, I like my lids & airlocks. Nothing can fall through them, on the off chance.

Seeing as my brewery is also the home to skinks, spiders & roaches, I like my lids & airlocks. Nothing can fall through them, on the off chance.

yeah I like my lids. We have 5 - 6 fermenters going, so there getting moved around quite alot. I would hate to drop one with out a lid.

I have read similar post regarding the coopers fermenters for about 5 years on most forums including the coopers forum .

The lids do not seal etc , usually due to the top of the drum not being flat ,

I know about the gladwrap , but I like to hear the bubbles , like music to the ear

tried different gaskets with no luck

The lids if done up too tight are a fight to get off , the belt and somebody to help works best

I do have one fermenter I got free from Grumpy's which seals well , but the tap is a mongrel to get in .

You would think that the suppliers ,particularly coopers , would fix the problem

grumble , grumble , grumble

need a brew

Back