Structurally insulated panels - for fermentation chamber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this topic earlier I remembered seeing a website where a bloke in USA built a fermentation chamber using foam sandwiched between ply with the guts from a fridge at one end.
This setup held 6 ? carboys,and was an amazing build,but I can't remember the site,....which doesn't help the O P at all,so this reply is useless ,.....

spog said:
After reading this topic earlier I remembered seeing a website where a bloke in USA built a fermentation chamber using foam sandwiched between ply with the guts from a fridge at one end.
This setup held 6 ? carboys,and was an amazing build,but I can't remember the site,....which doesn't help the O P at all,so this reply is useless ,.....
Can't remember who, but someone on here removed the door to a bar fridge and extended it out using insulated materials so it could house multiple fermenters. From memory it could not keep up with the Aussie heat.

A chest freezer of whatever size you need to hold what you want to put in it regulated by a STC 1000 would be the easiest, cheapest, most economical fermenting chamber by far.Especially if you ger a used freezer cheap.
Mine is a tucker box type and holds two jerry can fermenters,(40 litre total) and is brilliant.STC set to 18 deg.
Maybe you need a cold room for much bigger production tho.

QldKev said:
Can't remember who, but someone on here removed the door to a bar fridge and extended it out using insulated materials so it could house multiple fermenters. From memory it could not keep up with the Aussie heat.
I remember that too Kev. The main issue with his setup was he enclosed the condensor in a small area behind his cabinet. It couldn't dissipate the heat, so was never able to get down below about 12°C. I reckon if he allowed air flow to the condensor his concept would have worked.

chubbytaxman said:
Does the blue matter in a cube ???

Only ever seen clear / white ones.
Seen the blue jerry can type at BigW.
I've got a couple of the blue willow jerries and they are fine. Lots of people use them (and other blue cubes) with no dramas at all.

JD

I tried to get info on this a couple of weeks ago but didn't come up with much so I did some looking around on the web.
I found something called ' son of a fermentation chamber ' which is basically an easy to make polystyrene box that is taped inside and out on all joins without any sheet material on the in or outside. Just the foam.
I had a small bar fridge and an stc-1000 so I took the door off and made a box the same size as the front of the fridge, the sides are only about 130mm wide and that is enough to clear the fermenter I held the poly box against the fridge with bungy chords and so far it is working a treat although it took some time to get down to temp. I am running it at 18.5C and I am in Auckland but the air temp at the moment is up to 28C so it is knocking it down by 10C. It is a trail run and next brew I might put a container of cold or frozen water in the freezer box to give it a bit of a cold sink.

Back