Strongest Beer You Have Made?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Just interested to hear what the strongest beer alc % you have ever made, what style, what yeast and what strength?

Sounds like you might be planning a party starter Paul!

Just interested to hear what the strongest beer alc % you have ever made, what style, what yeast and what strength?

This one. Started out as a Duvel clone, but after a rouse of the yeast it took off again and finished at 1.006 at almost 9.5%. I bottled it into all available champagne bottles I had at the time (17) and kegged the remainder. Very smooth, been in bottles now close to 5 months. Might try one tonight actually.

Cheers - (and boo to the viewers who voted off Tatiana. Man those legs.... :huh: )

----------

06-47 Duvel

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.70
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.99
Anticipated SRM: 3.7
Anticipated IBU: 30.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.6 11.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
3.1 0.40 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2
10.2 1.30 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.40 27.2 60 min.
64.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 3.7 15 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

My strongest effort is very similar to Duff's. It was an attempt at a tripel - 1.080 down to 1.009 using Wyeast 1388. That's around 9.3% plus some from the bottling sugar.

1.085 down to 1.015: 9.2% Belgian Dark Strong.

Not quite to that level, but made an American IIPA with a US56 yeast cake came down from 1080 to 1012 giving 8.8% with the priming sugar.

My Infinity + 1 is 11.3% with a calculated bitterness of just over 400IBU's.
It was all grain too, no sugar.
Also was a mix of WLP001 and WLP051 yeasts.

Beers,
Doc

11+%

Lees Harvest Barley Wine OG 1125.
Bottled at 1032....

Still in bottles.

How about 13.7% (calculated by Beersmith) for my Old Ale
OG 1.094
FG 1.001 (with the help of 5 months in primary, daily rousing and dry enzyme)

Bottled 29/12/02 and scored me the prize for Best Strong Ale at the 2006 NSW Homebrew comp (went close to Best of Show too, I hear), and also 3rd at the Nationals.
It may have a few years left in it too, at that strength. Was undrinkable or at least nasty for the first few years.
Lucky that I bottled in stubbies, too much alc and flavour to finish a longy.

Seth :p

9%, a Duvel cone from the BYO mag, it went from 1.073 to 1.004.

cheers

Browndog

My strongest was back in my malt extract mini mash days - a 10% stout. I remember the first long neck I had was absolutely delicious strangely I cant remember much after that!

edit: Duff let us know how it tastes!

I'm hoping the Boys staying the night at my brew day will polish off the 1/2 keg of Duvel I have left here ;)

cheers

Browndog

a few months ago (3-4) i brewed an AIIPA, which i thought would be around 8% ended up being a little over 9% as it attenuated much better than expected with US56. was drinkable after 2-3 weeks, but is getting better with age.

Whats your plans Merc...?

My house IPA (200 to 400ibu) Is generally aroung the 9.5% mark. Using US-56 & mashing cool at 63/64c, it drops to approx 1012 from 1087.

Cheers Ross

Ha Ha, Just checked though beer smith and I think my biggest was 5.9%. Not quite upto others standards but I like my brews (90% Pilsners) around the 4.5 % Mark.

My Big one was an American IPA

Im brewing a 1.090 120 IBU english IIPA tomorrow

going to chuck it strait onto a yeast cake of US-56 that finnished firmenting on friday.

Cant wait to smell it boiling.

540g of hops in a 30 liter batch.

Will be brewing it at 64 deg

Fron the reports of the US-56 attenuation im hoping on a 10% beer.

cant wait to crack one already :)

cheers

My biggest was a russian imperial stout, that went from 1.104 to 1.024 with Wyeast 1084, so about 10.6%. Actually done 3 of them, but that is my strongest, done a IIPA that is 9.2% and my saison that I just bottled last week went from 1070 to 1004, so about 8.7%. Love my big beers, ya just cant drink too much in one sitting.
So, when can we expect the Merc's Own Barleywine?
All the best
Trent

I was reading the article in BYO regarding brewing the 20% beer and just wondered what the strongest beers you guys have made. I am planning to do a Saison (when I can get the b3 out of the shed) and am contemplating where I will place it in regards to the Alc content. Trent what yeast did you use for the Saison and what ferment temp?

Belgian strongish dark ale @7% and IPA of similar size.

Actually I'm not sure the calculator may have been out on the IPA because it kept knocking people on their backside quite a bit...

Mine tend to hover more in the 4-5 range mostly. I'm no Bindi :)

Latest posts

Back