• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Strong Yeast Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleosaurus cervisiae

Reaction score
Hi All
I noticed my brews have a strong yeasty flavour and smell if bottled in glass bottles. Conversely, if they are in the PVC bottles (same batch for example), they taste just fine. Anyone notice that? What could be the reason for that and what could I do to get rid of yeasty flavour in glass bottles? Tipically I brew partial and kits & bits ales and ferment at 18C for 2 weeks with safale yeasts.

Unless there are other factors - such as that you bottle into your PET first and then the glass gets the the yeasty-dregs at the end of the bottling process - I'm not sure there is any basis for suggesting glass bottles are the cause of the yeasty-flavour. Are you sure there are not other factors contributing than just what material the bottles are made from?
In theory if you let the yeast settle out before bottling, and then give it time to condition and settle out longer, there should be no 'yeasty' taste at all.

Are you storing the plastic an glass bottles in the same place and way? For example, do you have the glass in a milk crate near a window and the plastic bottles stored in cardboard boxes?

Hirns

I store both plastic and glass bottles in the same cupboard. Not quite sure which bottles get filled first, I reckon it is rather random, and I only have a dozen or so plastic bottles, the rest are glass.
What I describe as yeasty, some of my friends described as "waxy". Not the best taste in my opinion, but not horrible either. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it, though.

No idea about what it is, could it be cleaning solution? Is your cleaning regime the same for both? Do you dry hop? But then I don't know why it would only go soapy in glass. More details about the cleaning and brewing techniques will help.

No idea about what it is, could it be cleaning solution? Is your cleaning regime the same for both? Do you dry hop? But then I don't know why it would only go soapy in glass. More details about the cleaning and brewing techniques will help.

I clean with a bottle brush, with Brewcraft detergent, rinse, then soak in no-rinse sanitiser (based on hydrogen peroxide and silver ions). I do that both for PVC and glass bottles. The taste is there in dry-hopped brews (Cascade), as well as in those brews where I did not dry hop.

Cleaning technique doesn't seem like the culprit. I'm stumped (not hard - I'm a noob). Hopefully one of the more experienced brewers knows. Autolisis does cause this, but then it should be in all of a brew, and I doubt you'd leave brews long enough. Sorry dude.

Are you selling a yeast with a strong taste, or just the strong taste of yeast?

I kind of thought The AHB Marketplace was for selling and buying stuff. :p

Back