Strange Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Reaction score
hi everbody, hoping someone with MORE experience than myself (which is not much at all!!!!!! :) )can guide me in the right direction

i tried a beez neez recipe which was lager, wheat malt and honey etc..
I primed with a teaspoon of dex into 750pet bottle. It has been in the bottle two weeks and thought I would try a sample and it has a really yeasty taste to it. I mean really yeasty :(
I didn't turn the bottle after bottling to mix up the sugars etc..
I brewed pretty warm around 26-28degrees. starting sg was 1050, finished up at 1012
Am i missing something here, should I have used sugar not dex, should I have stirred up bottle to get the sugars and yeasts activated?

the aftertaste of the beer actually tastes like beez neez, its the initial yeast like slap in the face I cant stand?
My first brew, basic Morgans draught turned out really good, ginger beer bit artificial tasting but drinkable. this one hopefully will be drinkable in time.

Welcome nEWbUDdYpAL (whoops caplock on again!)

Ok 26 to 28 is wayyyy to warm for your yeasties to throw any nice clean tastes. Get some temp control into your brewing and you will be rewarded x1000.

Sugar/Dex same same (yes guys I know flame suit is on) :rolleyes: . Those temps and sugar on top it's not going to EVER make a nice brew. Your bottling method is ok the taste was driven by your ferment so concentrate on that first. Try some BE2 or LDME instead.

Do some more research on here there is heaps of good solid advice from some very excellent award winning Brewers.

Good luck with it all!

I brewed pretty warm around 26-28degrees. starting sg was 1050, finished up at 1012
Hold up! I'd say there be the problem! Sorry newbud, that's waaaay too warm. If your yeast is ale try ~18degC, lager <12. I.e. particularly in summer, you can't do these things without some kind of temperature regulation. For ales a busted fridge and 2litre milk bottles of frozen water swapped once or twice a day is all that's necessary, for lagers, probably a bit more effort (a working fridge + tempmate or similar).
Am i missing something here, should I have used sugar not dex, should I have stirred up bottle to get the sugars and yeasts activated?
Don't think that's the cause, usually sucrose and dextrose are indistinuishable as priming sugars.
the aftertaste of the beer actually tastes like beez neez, its the initial yeast like slap in the face I cant stand?
Seems like some wet cardboard hit you square in the face first, followed by a yeasty, dirty/muddy mid- sip and then when you were over the shock swallowing of that, there was a distant hop and malt resonanace which had a vague and incongruous resemblance to beez? :blink: If so, I'd say you'd be needing some temperature control first, maybe some refining of ingredients second.
Don't panic though- you'll be right, its really not that hard to sort this one out! Its just part of the learning experience. Hey, guess how many of us boneheads have done this sort of thing before? Heaps! :ph34r:
Oh, and +1 to Chappo!

Yeah, I live in Broome WA and our average temps now are about 35day 28night 85%humidity. I have had the aircon going on my lpca right now and got it about 24degrees.

Chappo, whats BE2? , ldme is liquid dark malt extract right? the recipe called for wheat malt, should I not really use that stuff, is it crap?

I really need to work on keeping check on these temps I spose. I am still going to drink it but would rather not have to drink crap like that. :( Such a shame when you nurse a brew, watch it bubble away, sing it lullabies and it does this to you HAHAHAHAHA.
Half the fun, if it worked first go it wouldnt be a challenge eh! I gunna keep surfin and learnin.

Hi Newbud,

As mentioned before, you've really got to reign in those temps. Ideally you should be ferementing these recipes at around 18-19deg, even 24 is high.

There are plenty of ideas for temp control on this site:
1. Dead fridge with frozen PET bottles inside
2. Live fridge with fridgemate temp controller unit (cheap and very effective)
3. Sit the fermenter in a bucket/bath of water and drape towels over the fermenter, allowing them to drop into the water (evap cooling)

LDME is light dried malt extract and BE2 is Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (which contains some LDME, maltodextrin, dextrose). Essentially BE2 is a fancier option that straight dextrose that will improve the body, mouth feel of your beer. LDME is the next step (try looking up extract brewing).

Wheat malt is not crap, it is necessary in certain recipes, such as a beez neez.

Hope this helps.

:icon_cheers: SJ

thanks for the feedback fellas, Ideallly I really should be bringing them down alot more than I am. Since the basic draught worked well thought i would be sweet with the rest of my brews at the same temps.

Nearly the dry season up here,will be alot better/and easier. 15-28temps, cooler temps, and spanish mackeral, red emporer calm cool days on the water drinking my home brew!!!
I cant wait!!!!! :D :D :D

Back