Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finna

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to brewing, and still exploring all these exciting new opportunities! Being into experimentation in a big way, and also being a huge fan of big stouts, I wondered if anyone could suggest a reltatively simple kit recipe (I'm in the process of my 3rd brew at the moment) that is thick, creamy and tasty...
I was thinking something along the lines of one of those ESB 3kg Stout pakages, plus some light liquid malt, and maybe some lactose to make it a little sweeter, or maybe the Muntons Stout, with 2kg of Stout Combo and some lactose? Please help!! Any suggestions much appreciated as I don't want to mess around with recipes too much yet.
Thanks,
fin

hopefully i'll be :chug: in six weeks or so on some stout (mmmmm)

Stout Recipee

Here is a stout recipee I have used over the last 4 years.

Morgans Dockside stout.
250 gms of Lactose
1kg of Liquid Malt (make it up with either all amber malt or 250 dark and rest amber or light malt)
250gms of Dark Brown Sugar.
50 gms of goldings hops.
Windsor ALe Yeast

Boil malt sugar and lactose in saucepan with 25 gms for 20 mins. And another 25gms with 5 mins to go.
Mix wort with can contents in fermenter as usual. Top up with cold water to 24 ltrs.

Now that i am into Partial Mash, I add the following:
2 hands of Roast Barley
4 hands of Chocalate Malt/Grain
6 hands of Xtal Malt/grain

Next stout i make i will also be adding the following additional elements:
2 hands of rolled oats
2 hands of Light Rye Malt
250gms of Franklin Malt and will mash/steep at approx 70 Degrees Celcius for 90 mins and then add this sweet Liquor to the pot for the boil.

I rack after 7 days and dry hop with Cascade 25 > 50 grms as necessary for 2 weeks.
This stout can be drunk after 1 week - bottle conditioning but is supurb at 9 weeks.
Keep some aside for a year... :chug:

Finna,
Let me know what you think.

Hi, thanks for that GMK, I'll give it a go.

One question, though. . .do you add the extract from your partial mash into the wort with _all_ the other ingrediants as well (the morgans, the liquid malt, brown sugar, and lactose) or do you take some of the other ingrediants out?

And following racking, do you then leave the brew in a fermenter for another 7 days?

Thanks in anticipation of :chug:

fin

Ref the recipee above for stout.

The morgans can is added directly to the fermenter.
the sweet liquor from the grains (after mashing for 90 mins) is placed into the boil pot with 25gms of goldings plus the brown sugar, lactose and liquid malt.

Boiled for 20 min adding 25gms goldings in last 5mins to go.

Primary Fermentation 7 days.
Racked into Secondary for 2 weeks
Then bottled.

Hope this clears it up...

GMK,

Sounds like a good recipe. I am interested to hear your method for steeping/mashing the rolled oats, rye, etc. and the malted grains. Would you steep them all together for 90min @ 70C or do you do the oats etc seperately from the malted grains? I am keen to try oats in my next stout, but I heard that they require a different mash schedule to, for example, chocolate grains.

Fin,
I don't know your location, but if you're near Sydney, Leon at the ESB at randwick is doing an all grain demo this saturday.It starts at about 10am and it's located on Clovelly Rd, Randwick.
Best of luck with the stout. Just bottled my 1st AG stout Oz day w/end. Should hook up and swap a bottle. :chug:

Linz

Snow said:
GMK,

Sounds like a good recipe. I am interested to hear your method for steeping/mashing the rolled oats, rye, etc. and the malted grains. Would you steep them all together for 90min @ 70C or do you do the oats etc seperately from the malted grains? I am keen to try oats in my next stout, but I heard that they require a different mash schedule to, for example, chocolate grains.
The mash schedule needs a protein rest due to the oats...

I have been told 35, 50 and 65 degrees would be better, 30mins at each. Protein rest is the 50 mark.

Technically, Roasted Barley, Chocalate and Xtal only need to be steeped, not mashed.

Mashing is where by you use enzyme activity to break down starch and complex sugars into fermentables. Xtal and Chocolate dont have any enzymes left after the roasting process.

The franklin malt is there to provide the enzyme for the light rye and the oats....

Linz,

thanks for the tip! If only I'd checked this page on friday night, as I was up in Sydney yesterday... unfortunately, I didn't see it.
Anyway, when I get this stout underway, I'd be more than happy to swap, though I have to wait a little until I can get another brew out of my fermenter :) During Uni Semester (i live south of sydney) I'll be around, so maybe then..

cheers
fin

GMK'S Logge Hopped Foreign Extra Stout.

As requested, Here is my hoppy FES Recipee.
Enjoy - As usual, the only conditions in using my reipees is i get to try one whenever i am donwn your way and you post HONEST feedback.

This is a fairly strong stout, partial mash recipee.

Ingredients:
Morgans dockside stout
1.5 kg of Amber LME - can use light if that is what you have.
250 gms Lactose
150 gms Dark Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon gypsum
Windsor Ale dry Yeast.

Steep in cold water for a 4 hours the following grains in 3ltrs of water:
100 gms roast barley
200gms Choc malt
150gms Xtal
75 gms light xtal

Hops:
15gms POR as FWH - First Wort Hops
25gms Nth Brewer 15 mins into boil
25gms EKG 30mins into boil

In a15ltr pot add the LME, lactose, Gypsum, Dark brown sugar and POR hops.
Disolve in 3 ltrs of boiling water. Add wort from Steeped Grains to pot and boil. Once roiling boil is established - boil for 35mins adding hops as per the above schedule.
Pour hot liquid unstrained into fermenter with contents of Morgans Dockside Stout. Top up to 20 ltrs with rain water.
Optional is running the rain water through the mash tun or sieve with the grains in it.
Make a yeast starter and pitch yeast at 20 degrees.

SG is approx 1065 and rack into secondary after 7 days. Dry hop with 20gms of Cascade placed in a SS mug with just boiled water for 2 mins and then stirred. Leave for 2 weeks in Secondary.
FG is approx 1018. Run through a pre keg in-line filter to remove any hop pellets and keg or bulk prime to then bottle.
Drinkable after 2 weeks - really mellows/balances out afte 6-8 weeks - before then - Huge hop aroma, flavour and bittering.
Has a real depth and complexity that is lacking in most stouts

Optional:
Try 100 gms of dark compound cooking chocolate - really throws it into the robust porter category - if going to try this then use light LME instead of amber.

As usual - Happy Brewing - and more importantly - Happy Drinking.

Why do you steep in cold water, i thought you were ment to use hot water like "tea bag"

I intend to try this in a week so i will post my findings (sounds like a winner though as i love a stong stout)

The hot water is believed to leech out the bitter tannins(see water filled ashtray) from the roast/black malts, so cold steeping avoids that problem

Ben

You can steep specialty grains - as they have no enzymes.

You mash the pale high enzyme grains. These need the warmth for the enzymes to work in converting starch to sugars.

As linz says - too high a temp and too long in the mash tun - you can start to get Tanins leached from the grains.

Ben,

You can steep in hot water.

But its upto your preference. Try both methods.
I also, used to steep overnight in cold water - but as kingofharpies said - this is probably too long and can produce some astringencies in the final product.

it looks good i might do a partial mash version of it around spring time

I know i should be largering with this cold weather but i LOVE my stouts and I need to keep my stock levels up before i run out....
1-2 kegs stout
2-3 for lagers
1 - other like wheat etc

and one keg will be ale's etc

then again i never brew to plan :blink:

Back